Question about Honda CTX200 Bushlander rear sprocket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CTX200
I found the CTX while looking for a replacement for recently deceased KLR250. I had used the KLR for farmwork, commuting, weekend offroading, and one annual long run to visit a friend (a 1600k round trip over dirt and bitumen). The KLR was fitted out with big racks (by me), and was all but indestructable (until I killed it), but best of all it had this big comfortable seat.

It was a bit of a shock to test ride the KLX and the DR; it was like sitting on a skinny bit of wood. After only a 5k test ride, my backside was protesting. Plus I would have had to shell out to get the racks I needed. And those bikes only have electric start. And the KLX has digital instruments, which I was sure I would break the first time I went on the dirt.

The CTX has good racks as standard and a nice big seat, plus kick and electric start, analogue dials, and this particular one has low kms and was the right price, so it had everything I wanted, except speed. 1600k is a long way to go at 95k/h, even on a big seat.

The DR was starting to look better and better, even with the extra cost for racks, maybe a new seat, and maybe a kick starter, but then I read Adam Jeske's story about changing the sprockets on the CTX (see here https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/honda-ctx-200/). He went from 12 to 14 teeth on the front, and from 47 to 45 on the back and got up to 110k/h. So I bought the bike. Then I found out that in Australia (where I am) I can buy a new front sprocket (13, 14 or 15 teeth) no problem, but the only alternative back sprocket I can get is bigger (50 or 55).

Anyway, I contacted Adam to ask if he used a genuine Honda part or an after market part: he thinks it might have been after market, but can't really remember. Fair enough, it was six years ago. So now I'm looking for any clues at all as to how I can come up with a 45 tooth back sprocket for this bike. The various parts people I've contacted reckon no other sprocket can be adapted to the bike, because the mounting is unique.

I guess if I can only change the front, it'll still be better, but I'm kind of mystified as to how it was done in the first place. So I'm throwing it out to you, Wild Dogs, on Adam's recommendation. I've also contacted TrailRider, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Any ideas?