Qwa Qwa mountain ride 2008

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I've grabbed the hole shot for this thread - a bunch of WD's joined Enduro World for a ride in the mountains.
We arrived on friday and set off at midday for the first ride. Saturday was spent in the saddle with lunch at a local spaza. These tours are superb for learning new techniques with amazing guides and terrain. I would highly reccomend any plastic bike owner to go on one.
An excellent weekend in all, despite me trashing myself for the second time in three weeks, still managed to ride and have a blast. Till next time.

DSC05070.jpg

Arriving with the boys

DSC05072.jpg

Plottie "styling"

DSC05080.jpg

Plottie "Not styling"

clifffall.jpg

My shortcut down sans my bike which then landed on my nut, lucky to escape relatively undamaged

DSC05085.jpg

Excellent guides (Gavin helping out)

DSC05087.jpg

Slick Jnr in paradise

DSC05089.jpg

Shaun smoking it

DSC05091.jpg

DSC05092.jpg

Shouldnt you be on the bike  :patch:

DSC05093.jpg

The boys

DSC05096.jpg

On top of the world

DSC05097.jpg

Plottie about to dismount

DSC05098.jpg

Slick Jnr...Lost

DSC05099.jpg

DSC05100.jpg

DSC05101.jpg

DSC05102.jpg

DSC05104.jpg

DSC05105.jpg

Challenging section...

DSC05106.jpg

DSC05107.jpg

Thanks to Gary Franks and team from Enduroworld and also a big thanks th Gavin Fell and others

You guys are true stars and made for an enjoyable weekend. The riding terrein was indeed varied and your patience at times was admirable.

Our group that booked together was Myself (Plothond), Plathond, Adventure MX, KatieMe, Slick, Slick Jnr and Shaun

We had a few spills
I was the first to go down and had a rather spectacular crash whilst going at a fair clip downhill and somehow I honestly believed that I could ramp over a dirt road. Well I went down like a sack of potatoes and with an almighty THUMP. My visor was semi ripped off and a very stiff neck were the main casualties

The Plathond went down into a gulley

Shortly thereafter Slick decided to take a 6 to 7 metre shortcut without his bike, which followed shortly thereafter. Definately some rib damage and we will know in a day or two

Plothond and Plathond

QwaQwaAug08037.jpg

Slick and Slick Jnr

QwaQwaAug08113.jpg

Shaun

QwaQwaAug08497.jpg

KatieMe

QwaQwaAug08372.jpg

QwaQwaAug08432.jpg

AdventureMx

QwaQwaAug08514.jpg

QwaQwaAug08508.jpg

Our guide - Gavin Fell

QwaQwaAug08499.jpg

The riding terrein was a taste of what the area has to offer and we were told that they "went easy" on us. This is truely a riders paradise

QwaQwaAug08463.jpg

QwaQwaAug08305.jpg

QwaQwaAug08010.jpg

QwaQwaAug08032.jpg

QwaQwaAug08181.jpg

As usual, in these type of riding area's, the kids were always keen to see what was going on

QwaQwaAug08147.jpg

I certainly got a rude awakening and learnt a "mountain" this weekend

QwaQwaAug08215.jpg

QwaQwaAug08216.jpg

QwaQwaAug08291.jpg

QwaQwaAug08060.jpg

I lost my sidecover on the first day as some of the gulleys we rode through we VERY narrow and it must have scraped off.
True to form - AdventureMX saved the day and came up with a plan

QwaQwaAug08005.jpg

AdventureMx - enjoying himself as well

QwaQwaAug08287.jpg

..... and practising air pollution  >:D

QwaQwaAug08508.jpg

Slick

QwaQwaAug08496.jpg

Shaun

QwaQwaAug08477.jpg

Plathond

QwaQwaAug08507.jpg

QwaQwaAug08212-1.jpg

QwaQwaAug08213-1.jpg

We came from the cave in the background. The rider behind Slick and Platte is Gary Franks

QwaQwaAug08034.jpg

If you mixture is too rich and your jetting is not right - it can be a spark plug killer. I went through 3 plugs on Saturday. Here we are changing it for the 1st time

QwaQwaAug08092.jpg

With roommates like this - can one but not wait to get out into the fresh air and GO RIDING  ;D ;D ;D

QwaQwaAug08001.jpg

QwaQwaAug08004.jpg

QwaQwaAug08003.jpg

Abselutly brilliant guys.... I am so envious over here I am about to sh!t myself.

I have also joined enduro world on a swazi tour some time ago and these guys do put together a brillaint riding weekend.

That just looks like brillaint riding!!!

Ja man really sucks when my time on parole is up before these rides ... but defenatly next time.

Excellent trip! Great pics! Hope you are all ok. :thumleft:

Jarrrra, julle okes is flippin tough!  :eek:   :eek7: Holy crap it looks hard.   I´m very impressed. Respect!

I would love to have been there, but would have written myself off for sure.

MX Adventure: Did you only ride through the river and slept on the grass all day after that?  :biggrin:

A question or about this photo:

Plottie what happened? And who is this other guy spying out the sky on his back while doing airtime??

Plottieabouttodismount.jpg

Lekka guys.

Qwa Qwa has taken its toll on the dogs.
Voodoo broke a collar bone, Bud500 messed up his arm good and proper and a few people destroyed thier livers there.

Hey BB there is places out in that area that you can do with the GS.

Next time you guys in SA we can go and do a lekker trippie around there

BlueBull2007 said:
A question or about this photo:
Plottie what happened? And who is this other guy spying out the sky on his back while doing airtime??
Plottieabouttodismount.jpg

Ja, that hill took it's toll

Here some more close-ups
The first is myself come to terms with the front wheel. Second is Slick Jnr. He really needs a lot of praise riding in terrain of that nature on a small bike. The third pic shows how steep the hill actually was

Lekker fun ;D

Attachments

• Qwa Qwa Aug08159a.jpg
    Qwa Qwa Aug08159a.jpg
    97.1 KB
  • Qwa Qwa Aug08160a.jpg
    Qwa Qwa Aug08160a.jpg
    65.6 KB
  • Qwa Qwa Aug08168a.jpg
    Qwa Qwa Aug08168a.jpg
    83 KB
JJred said:
Hey BB there is places out in that area that you can do with the GS.

Next time you guys in SA we can go and do a lekker trippie around there

I´d love to JJ, but going where there okes went: Sheesh! I´d break my 800 in half there!! :eek: I think maybe with a smaller bike, I´d love to do it though.

No we dont follow the route of the plastic bikes, thats too hectic.

But in that same area is lots of tracks that the DS bikes can easily do.