R1200GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Almost bought one, like seriously - if the money was in, I would have taken it today. But then, fortunately, I was given a bit of insight. I though, having spent R10-15k on the bike, I would be able to sell it for around R60k. Seems that second hand R1200GSs are flooding the market at ever decreasing prices, pushing the R1150GS price even lower. I mean, the other day I saw on the smalls a 2004 R1200GS for R52k! And it's been ridden on tar mostly. I was considering buying Takashi's 2005 R1200GS with Full Wilbers, and panniers (80k km on the clock) for R68 000. It also had some extras. This morning, I saw a 2007 R1200GS with 67k km on it for R64 500 (a bargain I think). Then, someone tried to sell their R1150GS for R68 000. The problem is we know our R1150GSs is all that, worth every penny, but we're seriously losing second hand value because of 'cheap' R1200GSs. I spoke to Justin from Motorad Tech. He said the other day he had a mint 30k km R1150GS, and could not sell it for more than...wait for it...R40 000. The argument is always going to be, BUT..I can get a R1200GS for...

I can fit an Ohlins rear shock (second hand, but it's only got 14k km on and has been rebuilt), the best Ohlins shock for the R1150GS (there's four that fit our bikes - this one costs around R15k new...)), plus I've spend some good moola on performance mods, nice screen, titanium akro, it's got panniers and top box... I bought it for R58 500 three years and a bit ago. I reckoned that I could easily ask R65 000 after spending moola on it, or even more... forget it.

This changed my mind. The difference I have to pay in is going to be too big. I initially thought that I would sort exchange my 1150GS for a 1200 because the 1200s were selling cheap, I didn't realise that the implication of that is that the R1150GS is selling even cheaper...to the point where someone looking for a R1150GS(A) is going to get a huge bargain

Fortunately, these bikes seem popular, so you you should be able to sell it, but not for what we know them to be worth.

I must say though... I will later get a R1200GS! That bike just rides better, period. And, it seems you can do the basic maintenance yourself. You might need a computer if something specific fails, but otherwise, you can maintain it yourself.

The performance of the R1200GS (on tar) cannot be compared with the R1150GS, especially above 4000RPM. Maybe the R1150GS pulls a bit stronger lower down..maybe, but I doubt it. It's more maneuverable, less stable I guess, but more confidence inspiring in general. Even with the mods I've done to the R1150GS, the R1200GS is faster still by a significant margin.

So... I guess I'll keep the ol pig until I later sell her, whenever that is.