Raspberry Pi internet ad-blocker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
I was chatting to a mate of mine a few weeks back about the internet of things and somehow ended up on the subject of all these damn ads you get when trawling the web. He mentioned that he has been running Pi-hole and unbound on his Linux pc as an ad-blocker, needless to say my ears pricked up and after a bit of 20 questions type of thing I got the gist of it.

So I dug around in the back of the cupboard and pulled out my old raspberry pi, flashed a copy of Debian lite and booted it up. With a bit of fiddling I managed to install Pi-Hole and Unbound to get my Fibre router to use the Pi DNS.
For the most part it has made a huge difference in the amount of ads I see. I would certainly love to know how much bandwidth I am saving.

My issue that I can't seem to figure is why do I get a dns error for wilddogs even after I have added the url to my pi-hole whitelist.?do any of you use this sort of thing? How did you fix said issue if you suffered the same thing?

The frustrating part is that it's intermittent. Some days I don't get the error and sometimes I get it initially and with a page refresh the site loads just fine. I have yet to have the same issue on my phone or iPad. I have fiddled as many settings that i can think of but to no avail. 🙁