Rear brake master cylinder problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunnes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Morning ladies and gentlemen

I would like to ask for your help with my dakar. Its the first bike that I've bought (and ridden) and I haven't looked back since. I thought I'll tell the whole story (because its a bit funny) so feel free to scroll down to the question.

Yesterday afternoon I opened up the master cylinder of my bike's rear brake to figure out why the brake goes numb every now and again.. (I bled the system and replaced the brake pads and it still continued)

I made the classic rookie error of having the circlip shooting off the pliers just as I took it out. It shot off, hitting the bike and now I can't seem to find the circlip -> Read: baie deurmekaar garage. I wanted to rush to Silverton but seeing as it was around 16:15 on a Friday afternoon, I tried the local Builders, Mica and Chamberlains. This just furthur proved my theory that certain spares are impossible to find in the east of Pretoria. Let me acknowledge that the Mica in Silverlakes has been very helpful in the past, even with brushes for an imported magnetic drill.

So I gave up and decided to do a proper search for the lost circlip. Instead of just a little search, I ended up moving half of the garage out onto the pavement increasing my search radius to about 3m from the point of departure. Anyone who's been in this garage will agree that this was quite an undertaking. A short while after 18:00 I skrikked wakker, realising that I am late for dinner with the skoonouers. After packing everything back into the garage, I showered (skoonouers...) and left circlipless.

My question (finally): Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the circip is? I didn't have a vernier, but I guessed (with a ruler) about 16mm outer and 10-12mm inner diameter. Its a internal circlip with about 3 or 4 eyes on the inside, not including the two eyes used to pry it open with pliers. I can buy a new set of rubbers, spring and circlip from BMW but its R155. A bit steep for a circlip.

We left for my girlfriend's ouma in Groot Marico early this morning so I won't be able to look around Pretoria this weekend.

Also, does anyone know why the brake system would "val plat" every now and again? The pedal would lose pressure, then I would press it once or twice to regain pressure. This carries on for about 5 or 6 stoppages (traffic lights or stop streets) and then disappears. It only happens after about 10km of suburban riding and regular braking. My discs aren't that smooth, so could it be that the brakes are heating up and then the brake fluid starts boiling due to the pressure applied when braking. This sound a bit far fetched.

Could it be that the brake fluid is getting old, losing viscocity over time? I cant find any evidence of leaks at the master cylinder or the brake piston and the fluid level hasn't dropped yet. I haven't checked at the ABS sensor yet.

I would appreciate any help or a spare circlip

Thanks. Dirk