Recent trip up the Baviaans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Typical road conditions. This is not easy on the big Bemmers with "dry clutches", and definately not nice if ya got a pillion
IMG_1872r-1.jpg

IMG_1873r.jpg

IMG_1877r.jpg

IMG_1887r.jpg

IMG_1896ar.jpg

Water !! Walk before you just ride. Check out the "marbles" underfoot.
IMG_1898ar.jpg

IMG_1899r.jpg

IMG_1901ar.jpg

IMG_1904r.jpg

This gives you an idea, of the conditionaduring a drought. Water is still engine height. They have not yet had any rain in these parts.
Nice 800GS , shaking off the water after a succesful water crossing.
IMG_1905r.jpg

IMG_1908r.jpg

IMG_1912ar.jpg

IMG_1919r.jpg

Real friendly Capetonian, check the wave.
IMG_1925ar.jpg

IMG_1927ar.jpg

IMG_1928ar.jpg

IMG_1935ar.jpg

IMG_1936ar.jpg

IMG_1937ar.jpg

These Capetonian adv riders really had a jol.
This post really gives anyone an idea of the conditions in the Baviaans Kloof.

Yep, now that is serious water stuff. Great pic.  Fark, he must have a snorkel up to his instrument cluster na dall wiring & plugs doused with water repellent

chicco said:
this is about a engine height water crossing.....
195873604_74FBr-L.jpg

picture from WD forum.

WOW love this pic  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

dont think i would do that with my current bike...no way...makes an impressive pic tho

The KTM's air intake is very high, but I recon that came very close!!

chicco said:
this is about a engine height water crossing.....
195873604_74FBr-L.jpg

picture from WD forum.

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

That's about right...the air intake is just under the cubby hole/fuse compartment, but that water is properly over the engine. :thumleft:

I hear there is a baboon with concussion at the bottom of the one mountains after a pannier box flew down the cliff and brained him. :imaposer:

The roads look better than before. 8)

That is only the nice sections - your training you have done recently will come in handy up the rocky pass towards Bergplaas from Willowmore side !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the slowest and most unnatural biker that I know , but strangely I have never found the Baviaanskloof difficult ! I am sure a novice with a wee bit of experience could do it quite easily ! Now the track over the kouga to Kareedouw from just on the other side of Sandvlakte now there is a nice little challenge , technical ,and worth the ride. >:D

Can anyone give me an approximate duration, from Patensie to Willowmore?

I'm going solo on my way to Cape Town and leaving PE at 13:00 on Friday 18th Dec.  Need to get in before sunset and the kudus start a-jumpin.

4x4 = +- 6 hours  on bike 5hours if u make good time, but thats a rush - you need to take it easy and enjoy every minute of it = 8 hours

Roné said:
4x4 = +- 6 hours  on bike 5hours if u make good time, but thats a rush - you need to take it easy and enjoy every minute of it = 8 hours
What he says :thumleft:

Latest posts