REFERANCE TO THE BEST ADV JACKET

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Not keen to high jack another thread , but would like to add my couple of comments .
like many members I too have searched for the holy grail of adventure jacket , and have maybe found it . bit more later . first , we all know jackets come in a many options and need to for us here in SA cover many options , that is asking a lot . we need it to be SAFE, then have very good ventilation to cool the rider , be water proof to keep dry , and in winter keep you warm . not a easy task .
As mentioned bought a couple but they dont tick the boxes . ( for me)
jackets with a thermal liner is great for winter , works if removable for summer ,A rain liner is a after thought . yes it keep the rider dry , but the jacket gets soaked , not easy to get it dry for the next days ride . got that T shirt as well .
In the end I sort of customized for my options , bought a KTM rally jacket , fitted armour into the pockets provided , then from my SPIDI jacket I fitted the H2o out rain jacket with its thermal liner , works a charm in cold weather , jacket great when its hot . the rain jacket can fold up small , and doubles as a destination jacket for cooler nights . Packing the thermal liner takes space , does not fold small .
I weas then fortunate to find a nearly new KTM street evo jacket . This jacket has good ventilation openings ( not tested as yet) has a thermal liner that zips out , and the outer fabric is water repellent d330 nylon

jacket specks
  • Sporty, multipurpose all-weather street jacket
  • Wind- and waterproof Z-liner membrane
  • Fully ventilated mesh lining
  • Water-repellent 330D nylon
  • Waterproof front fastener
  • Ventilation zips
  • Suitable for use all year round thanks to removable thermal lining
  • Abrasion-proof, tear-resistant polyester/polyamide blended fabric
  • Reflective panels for greater safety
  • Removable shoulder and elbow protectors
  • Specially styled (short at the front, long at the back) for optimum fit in riding position
  • Accordion flex zones at the front and rear
  • Comfort collar
  • Sleeve width adjustment
  • Width adjustment with quick release on waistband
  • Several external and internal pockets
  • Napoleon pocket under the front flap
  • Pocket for optional SAS-TEC back protector
I would say look at all the specks , and buy the best , maybe save a bit , look for good used if this does not bother you ( I stick used kit in my washing machine , comes out clean and fresh )
final word , even though the jacket in the shop is new , many could have tried it on , would suggest you wash it after purchase , just to make sure its nice and clean for the first trip .
TIP ; I have used NIXWAX on my jackets to add to its water resistance , cant say with out a doubt that the tip is a winner , but worth the R150 to try and keep dry .
We are on the cusp of autumn , and soon we will need to dress warm to go for a ride , and then the questions start again , to get best advise for gloves , jacket and pant . Good base layers is a winner , try the sport shops for thermal running gear , its thin but warm .

Last edited: