Refitting Rear Wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Last night I was refitting my rear wheel and boy did I struggle. It's only the second time I've had to do the job and I struggled the first time as well.
I've been swinging spanners all my life so I'm not a total idiot when it comes to working on bikes but this one is messing with my brain.

My problem is getting the spacer on the brake side to slide into place as the tolerance seems to be quite tight. The brake caliper holder keeps getting in the way and the bolts holding the brake disc on hit the holder making it harder to get everything aligned . I eventually got the wheel in after lots of sweat, (there may have been some tears to but I was sweating so much I wasn't sure if it was sweat or tears) using a brick under the wheel and rolling it in but I was so blinded by sweat I'm not completely sure how it happened.

Two things I did that I think may have helped, I cable tied the caliper holder to the swing arm to stop it from moving around to much and I raised the wheel with a brick so essentially rolled the wheel into place.

Has anyone who has removed their back wheel had any similar problems or does anyone have and tips to make this a bit easier?