Riding a 4x4 trail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
My “second” job in life is taking groups out for one of Cape Town’s 4x4 touring companies and through this I have obviously got to know a lot of farmers / land owners in a lot of areas.

One of them, who is actually a close friend now has opened up a quad bike route on his farm and will even take the quads round the grade 3-4  4x4 route

I have some mates who own quad bikes and they were eager for me to arrange a weekend there but 5 of our little riding group ride KDX’s and so began the negotiations to allow us to ride the motorcycles around the 4x4 trail.

I was eventually successful in convincing the farmer that we were a responsible bunch of blokes and we would stick to the rules of riding such a trail in an ecologically sensitive area, namely the Cederberg. I have been going there since 1995 and this must have been my 35th visit. The first time with an enduro bike though.

Well, we had a blast, some very nice and huge climbs, some thick sand and some technical rock riding. Also along the trail one will find the most spectacular waterfalls I have ever seen as well as some very welcome swimming holes. Hard to believe there is actually so much water in those mountains.

Then along the banks of the river he has an obstacle course for quads which crosses the river various times, has some sand, some mud, some very tight sections through the trees and some open areas where one get the throttle on. We had a serious amount of fun in there.

So if you “other bike” is a quad, and you don’t mind being guided round the 4x4 trails, though I’m sure you would be free to do your thing in the obstacle course, the place is the Biedouw 4x4 route, 260 km from Cape Town in the northern edge of the Cederberg. The contact is Barry on 027 4822845. He has a beautiful shaded campsite with full ablutions or a farm house for hire, rates are reasonable and the area is stunning. 

I am sure that if it were a smallish group of motorcycles, Barry would also allow you to ride the trails as we did.  I think we set a good example and erased his fear of motorcycle riders being a bunch of hooligan’s intent on doing exactly as they please. We were the first bikes to be allowed there in a very long time as the last lot went off the trail, rode over the main water pipe for the valley, broke it and then left. It was only discovered when everyone started running out of water.

Unfortunately almost all of the pictures were taken in the obstacle course as I could not convince my wife to join us on the trail on her pit bike. But even she had a blast as there is plenty of place for novices to ride.

Attachments

• DSCI0076.JPG
    DSCI0076.JPG
    137.2 KB
  • DSCI0077.JPG
    DSCI0077.JPG
    136.8 KB
  • DSCI0093.JPG
    DSCI0093.JPG
    184.8 KB
  • DSCI0094.JPG
    DSCI0094.JPG
    182.4 KB
  • DSCI0099.JPG
    DSCI0099.JPG
    203.1 KB
??? I thought the quaddies were the bad guys ???

Looks like a great place to ride :) and nice pics :thumleft:

This is a public apology to my wife who objects to the term novice.

She sees herself as a beginner (off road) as she is quite a compedent on road rider on her 650.

Barry's farm can also be used as a base for DS bike touring in the area. Very central to some fantastic dirt roads, 17km from Wupperthal, 30km's to the Doring River, theres the Botterkloof pas on the road to Calvinia and the area around the San Caves is also nice riding.

Nice report and seems like excellent riding has been had  :ricky: