Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

unishaun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Hey dogs

I enjoy my flower and plant photography, but never take the camera with while out on rides, so I miss out on plenty of opportunities. I am just to worried it has the shit shaken out of it while riding. Do you guys have any ideas or solutions? My setup is a pretty big for the type of pics I take (DSLR with 105mm macro lens usually)

Attachments

• 20220617115842_IMG_3275.JPG
    20220617115842_IMG_3275.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220617134922_IMG_3303.JPG
    20220617134922_IMG_3303.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220427162720_IMG_2868.JPG
    20220427162720_IMG_2868.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
I wear my camera in a lowepro sling for day rides, or in a pouch in my endurastan backpack for trips

El Zeffo

Plata O Plomo
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I always rode with my Fujifilm XT2 in my tank bag. I just put a thick piece of soft sponge in the bottom of the bag. The camera was fine all along.

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
I think the tank may not be a good place for dslr type cameras with a mirror that can flap about, same for the fuji lenses with linear motors (want to speak to a fuji tech about this)

El Zeffo

Plata O Plomo
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I think the tank may not be a good place for dslr type cameras with a mirror that can flap about, same for the fuji lenses with linear motors (want to speak to a fuji tech about this)

Michnus rode Fuji cameras all over South America for years on his bike. Maybe we should ask him. That's where i got the idea to take it on the bike.

Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Ran Canon kit inside a Lowepro bag in the top box of the GS.
1DX, 16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 180 f3.5 macro.
Crashed in thick sand between Bagani and Shakawe.
The bike and I took some damage.
Camera kit was fine.

Tom van Brits

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
I always rode with my Fujifilm XT2 in my tank bag. I just put a thick piece of soft sponge in the bottom of the bag. The camera was fine all along.
I do the same, keep in mind the NC got a cubby hole which makes it super easy.
XT30 with 16mm always handy

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
I said DSLR for a reason, mirrorless bodies like the Fuji’s mentioned should be ok, not sure about the IBIS models though. The lenses are another story and depends on focusing motors.

So for me the answer depends on your setup.

unishaun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Thanks for the input guys. I do ride a XR which does tend to shake a lot more than most (if not all) bikes

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
I did a few trips with my camera and lenses in the side pannier. Never had any issues. But to be fair I did mostly tar to get to the places where i then had to shoot.
Showjumping, SA Tentpegging Champs, Exotic Game Breeders wanting pix of animals.

The topbox can work well too as you stop, get off, take the camera, shoot, put back and go again.

unishaun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
I may need to go the backpack route and change the camera set up for bike trips. Thinking 50mm lens and extension tubes to get almost macro. I guess the camera you have with you is better than none at all.

I try to stick to dirt as much as possible, it's what the XR loves, but luggage not so much

Helenus

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Travelled many 1000s of kms with a DSLR, sometimes an extra lens as well, packed securely in my tank bag. No problems, I would have picked up any, the same kit was used professionally, also for many years. Not saying nothing can go wrong though. These days I opt for a mirrorless, smaller and lighter.

unishaun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Travelled many 1000s of kms with a DSLR, sometimes an extra lens as well, packed securely in my tank bag. No problems, I would have picked up any, the same kit was used professionally, also for many years. Not saying nothing can go wrong though. These days I opt for a mirrorless, smaller and lighter.

I will go mirrorless one day when I am big and have the money, but right not the price difference between my DSLR and a new mirrorless is few tanks of petrol. Photography is just a hobby for me and does not justify the spend, I do however drool at new gear online every so often.
The saying "run what you brung" comes to mind.😉

1armbandit

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR350
My DR loves the dirt just like ur XR and I too really want to travel more with my DSLR. I have been hesitant about a backpack as I do every now and then stop drop and roll 😂 I’m thinking pelican case on back rack is best solution. But it’s not cheap 😳 please let me know what lands up working for u , thanks

Roadhawg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Michnus rode Fuji cameras all over South America for years on his bike. Maybe we should ask him. That's where i got the idea to take it on the bike.
I heard rumours he's busy designing a tank bag that is specifically for cameras.

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My DR loves the dirt just like ur XR and I too really want to travel more with my DSLR. I have been hesitant about a backpack as I do every now and then stop drop and roll 😂 I’m thinking pelican case on back rack is best solution. But it’s not cheap 😳 please let me know what lands up working for u , thanks
You need to weight usability and ease of use, once you have a camera locked into a peli in the back it becomes a HUGE mission every time you want to stop and take a photo and you need to weigh up just how much better than one photo is going to be vs just doing it with the latest iPhone.

I have cameras ranging from 1DX to Sony A7 and Canon R5/6 and for ease of use and something you always have on you, especially if you’re trying to enjoy your riding, then the iPhone especially anything from the 11 up, stays king.

3BB43A4B-80CB-4624-8D23-3DD5F6B699F6.jpeg

Ri

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I rode with the camera bag strung over the handlebar between the mirrors, close at hand. I took some beautiful photos.

Recently, after years of abuse, the lens autofocus stabiliser packed up. It'll cost more than the camera is worth to replace, if I could even get a replacement 😢

The iPhone 12 takes lovely photos, but doesn't beat the Nikon's default settings and autofocus for "mik-en-druk", for an amateur like me

unishaun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Going the backpack route, however motorcycle specific bags are stupidly priced. So looking at the 20l day/hiking packs. They are a lot cheaper and depending on the bag, they have some great features