Riebeeck Outride - May 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
The dawgs are a tough bunch, 7 pitched for a ride leisurely ride through the wine lands on a day that was more suited to red wine and a fireplace. After raining for most of the morning the skies opened just enough to allow us a rain free 200km ride.

The group: Mr Python, Gwild, Walletjies, SuperTen, Fuzzy Muzzy, katana and myself with a guest appearance from Pote to see us off at the 1 Stop. I invited him with for a rest of the ride but he mumbled something about “Te veel hek pale” and rode off home  :peepwall:

Mr Pythons ride started off with a bang when he managed to put is XTR down on some oil at a traffic circle before he even reached us  :eek: Fortunately he was okay but the XT had a few bruises and a cracked fairing. Kudos for still joining us bud  :thumleft:

The route started off by meandering through the local farms and then joining up with the Slent pad near the Eskom Wind turbines. The only unnecessary incident was a young farmer who waved us down with a golf club. He asked us to slow down and not to ramp the erosion gullies as it was a Sunday afternoon and the bikes make a noise. Fair enough but we were only cruising at the time. By the time the 7th bike stopped next to him he didn’t know where to hide the golf club… although I could have given him a suggestion  :mwink:

To any others planning to ride this route, please be respectful around the farm houses and slow it right down, we don’t want to ruin it for future out rides  :thumleft:

We then hooked some tar and turned right onto a stunning section of dirt just before Malmesbury which spat us out on the back road between Malmesbury and Wellington. Then it was more tar until a left turn onto gravel just before Riebeeck Kasteel which took us clockwise around the mountain. We stopped at the top of a small climb (with a stunning view) for katana to pollute his lungs and then ducked into Riebeeck Kasteel for a cuppa coffee.

Superten and katana took the tar road back from here as they needed to get back by 5 and the rest of us took the gravel road towards Lady Lock Bridge and the tar homewards.

Thanks to all the WD’s who joined, thanks a mill. As Muz said, great ride and great company.

I still need to work on the vid but here's a few pics of the area taken on Sat. Please exuse the ST in the pics, she's a bit of a prima donna and pushes her way in everywhere  ;D

Attachments

• ST3.jpg
    ST3.jpg
    49.2 KB
  • ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    92.4 KB
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    60.8 KB
A few more

Attachments

• ST4.jpg
    ST4.jpg
    67.3 KB
  • ST5.jpg
    ST5.jpg
    55.8 KB
Sure you were not alone....only pics of your boney? :peepwall:

Buff said:
I still need to work on the vid but here's a few pics of the area taken on Sat. Please exuse the ST in the pics, she's a bit of a prima donna and pushes her way in everywhere  ;D

Buff said:
Buff said:
Aaah... ;D
Nice pics...bikes looking good 8)

I decided against a vid, the ride was too relaxed to record anything exciting  :D

Here's a few pics from the GoPro

1. Wannabe Ernie Els farmer giving us instructions  :mwink:
2. Superten and Gwild
3. Long shadows

Attachments

• Ernie wannabe.jpg
    Ernie wannabe.jpg
    420.4 KB
  • Superten_Gwild.jpg
    Superten_Gwild.jpg
    308.6 KB
  • Views3.jpg
    Views3.jpg
    400.7 KB
1. Smoke break
2. Lurvly gravel  ;D
3. The speedo must be faulty

Attachments

• GOPR0016_reduce.jpg
    GOPR0016_reduce.jpg
    436.6 KB
  • Views2.jpg
    Views2.jpg
    353.4 KB
  • Spoedvark.jpg
    Spoedvark.jpg
    249.1 KB
That really is a nice route you guys took. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Love that photo of the "Ernie Els Wanabee" :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Really.. a big thanks for organising such a lekker relaxed ride Buff. I enjoyed it so much I may take the miss along that route as pillion on Sun if it is not raining.

I only picked up the bike from the workshop at 9am and took her out for our 1st ride down the west coast around melkbos and surrounds for an hour or so, then went home to see if the weather was going to play along.. the ride was mainly just to see how the hand felt, I intended to come down to the one stop and see if the hand was still holding out.. all good, lets go do a little compact soil.

2nd ride since my off and 1st ride on the new boney, once or twice I could not help myself along those roads, it felt great to give it the beans a little, but mainly it was just nice to get out and blow off some cobwebs..

very lekker bunch of okes enjoying a day out.. the way I like it.

It was indeed a great ride.
It wasn't a turning circle... I decided to sneak through the new intersection on okavango at the bottom of my road.
All those heavy trucks have been up and down there and there must be a build up of diesel/oil that that just got brewed up in the rain.

So I pick the bike up stick it on the stand go round to the front to straighten the bars and the bike slips of the stand and bliksems down on the other side.

Mr. Python said:
So I pick the bike up stick it on the stand go round to the front to straighten the bars and the bike slips of the stand and bliksems down on the other side.

:laughing4: That's what happens when the adrenaline flows and you try pick it up so quickly so that no one sees the wipeout  :D  Hope the damage isn't too serious though  :-\

Glad you managed the whole route Muz, I can imagine how lekka it must have been for you to be out on the bike for a change. I can relate because I was just as frustrated after my knee op... Talk about cabin fever  :( That new bike of your looks awesome and I could see it was keen to run because it was filling my mirrors on the way home  :D