Road out of Hell tour - May

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowsprit

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
The Challenge – The Road out of Hell Tour

My 81-year-old father was gunned down this week.

My 67-year-old father-in-law committed suicide 6 months ago.

Did you know that 10% of all life policy claims are suicide – higher than ‘unnatural causes’ (Discovery Health)

We all love the freedom of ‘the ride’. Reading between the lines however, a lot of us motorcycle to escape reality. Here is a planned 5-day tour that is different.

An off road tour to CONFRONT our own personal demons*; to meet them face to face; to give them flesh and to start the road to a better place – no instant magical cures but a journey towards freedom with like-minded bikers.
* Addictions, broken relationships, forgiveness, loss of direction, loss, abandonment, healing, spiritual issues etc

I have been planning and researching this type of off road tour for some years now and now in memory of my two late fathers, it’s time to go live (or yes, another year will go by)

The Details

The tour will be offered out of our company “Schlowy Custom Motorcycles” based here in Jhb.

The venue is the Eastern Cape and the WarTrail Valley in particular – the area of numerous off road tours/events and definitely among the finest off road routes in the country. Adventure bikes between 500cc and 1200cc are invited although a few 4x4 / 4x2 vehicles may join if they are prepared to play the role of backup!

Accommodation: B+B type (dinner, bed and breakfast) although you can camp if you prefer
Proposed dates: Middle of May – some flexibility here. If the dates are inconvenient, we can accommodate you on another trip.
Cost: Under R2000-00 excluding fuel and drinks
Number of participants: 10 to 15

Level of difficulty: Intermediate (using the BMW 1200 GS as a benchmark). If you are unsure, Schlowy Customs offers novice and intermediate off road training in one of three excellent off road facilities. The ride will take in 4 or 5 iconic dirt road passes, weather and conditions permitting. The main aim of the ride however is one of personal growth; the amazing mountainous landscape will serve merely as a backdrop.

Philosophy: The tour is essentially Christian and biblically based. The main theme is that God can walk us out of our own personal hell, the choice is ours. This journey is a lot easier within a band of brothers who are outside your immediate circle.

Methods: Prepared material, discussions, reflective contemplation, prayer and a lot of your own honesty and vulnerability. Afterwards, a realistic plan of action with accountability to the group.

Facilitator: I, Steve Eilertsen of Schlowy Customs, African Long Distance and Flames On My Tank will lead the tour. I have been a Christian for 40 years and an adventure biker for 12 years. I am not a pastor, a psychologist or a professional councilor* and have successfully screwed up my life a good few times in my 55 years. I do believe however that I can play a role in your own long walk to freedom. Sometimes good intentions, programs and resolutions are not enough to get us out of a deep hole and sometimes spiritual issues we don’t always understand hold us back. (You are free to discuss these matters with me over email.)
*Participants who are qualified in these areas are invited to actively contribute and facilitate.

Here is a fun opportunity to ‘deal with your stuff’. Don’t ride away from your issues – turn and face them.

Interested participants can comment below or mail me at [email protected]