Roll-my-own luggage & equip project.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
My one-nighter "bosberaad" out in Magaliesburg told me that I quite like bike sleep-outs, but It also told me that if I want to do overnight or weekend rides I must get myself set up.

The last straw was when I stopped off at the Wimpy on the way home and a Harley rider looked at the agricultural bag tied onto my bike with rope and asked if I was selling mielies or cabbages.

Baastid !

But when I surfed for panniers, top-boxes and the like I fould that there really does not seem to be that much at a reasonable price for a KLE, and, as I would like to do a bike upgrade late 2008 or early 2009 I dont want to spend too much now on stuff I may not be able to use on a new bike. 

So, having Scottish ancestry, I have decided to try and make my own kit based on some pics and things I have seen on this site and on the web, and some bits and pieces I already have.

My late mother's two-speed Husqvarna (sewing machine, not bike) has been dusted off and oiled up, and armed with the manual and "Sewing for Dummies" the project has started. I wish I had spent more time watching her use the damned thing. I have a B.Sc. (Mining Eng) not a B.Sc. (Sewing Eng) but hey, rock-drills, computers & sewing machine are all the same. . . I think. 

The basic concept is to leave the top-box I have on the bike. It started service on my old Kymco scooter and has been on the KLE since I bought it. The removal clip-thingy bust on Sani, and it is bolted permanently on the bike so I intend to leave it and pack the other stuff arround it. It has proved durable and I have dropped the bike half a dozen times with it on and it is still going.

So the basic plan is to have a webbing harness that will keep the top-box in place and provide attachment points for "tubes" containing the lighter, but bulkier things like sleeping bag/mat and tent. 

The heavy stuff, (beer, scotch, meat etc) will be in a tog-bag behind me on the seat like a pillion. 

The top-box content is tools, spare tube, first-aid kit and rain-suit etc - they live there permanently.

I have started with the sleeping bag "torpedo tube" and it looks okay. I made it from PVC/Fibre tarp stuff - stuff they make punch-bags from and will waterproof seams with tent waterproofing. Chose yellow for visibility.

So, you experienced guys think it all may work as per sketch? 

Attachments

• PlanDrawing.jpg
    PlanDrawing.jpg
    58.4 KB
  • BikeEquip001_post.jpg
    BikeEquip001_post.jpg
    40.8 KB