RUNNING DIMS AND BRIGHTS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokkus

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Ok, More light is usually better.  I searched on XT660.com and found a nice step by step method for connecting the lights so that when you switch the brights on, the Dim Stays on.  Here are the steps.  I have modified them a bit.

I used the Positive and Negative that runs straight from the battery - the power for the spots i installed.  The Dim is now connected in parrallel with the Spots

1. Remove tank - beware of the main fuel hose leading into the tank as mentioned above.. the plastic bit that is part of the pump seems a little fragile..

2. On the right hand side (brake side) of the bike near the top of the radiator is a bunch of connectors covered with a black plastic cover thingo and attached to the radiator brace with a cable tie.. cut the cable tie and pull back the cover to expose the connectors..

3. Find the connector that leads up to the headlight switch block..

4. Pull the connector apart..

5. On the male connector (the one on the headlight side) is a blue with black stripe wire - this is the wire that provides power to the headlight switch block when the engine is running {Dont cut the wire.  You have to install the Relay in parralell on this wire.  - First mistake i made}

6. take a look at the diagram below and wire accordingly.. you will need to cut the positive wire running to the globe and attach the wire from the relay PIN 87 .. I folded the wire coming from the switchblock back over onto itself, cable tied it and then covered with heatshrink

7. read these instructions backwards to reassemble everything - and you're done.. a low beam that stays on with highbeam (why oh why didn't Yamaha do this)..

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 877