SALTytown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droffarc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
We pick up our story where Droffarc the Demented returns to the spot on the Calvinia â?? Ceres road where he would have turned left had the seat of his pants not been so damp ( see the Cedarberg Trip). Now, with drier brookies he takes that road.

Suth.JPG

Having been home for a few days recuperating from the talking to given to me by Mrs Droffarc I decided to end my vacational journey the right way.

Right away when I got away a little late and the South Easter blowing me around I knew that Bachâ??s Air on the G string was not the right music for this trip. The tar section over the Theronsberg pass passed quite quickly and soon I was on great gravel. I took the R354 to Sutherland. The road had recently been re-surfaced with clay and was hard packed and in much better condition than many tarred roads â?? consequently I was doing speeds in excess of 140km/h and then all of a sardine the resurfaced section ended and I was on the usual gravel â?? ball bearing sized grains of rock. Shock!

Suth_%281%29.JPG

Suth_%282%29.JPG

Suth_%283%29.JPG

Suth_%284%29.JPG

But soon I was glad because the good bit was becoming boring hence the surplus speed. Now there were many ups and downs and in most of the downs the recent rains had washed away the road surface â?? making for interesting riding â?? especially when you come roaring up a blind rise to find that the road not only dips down but does a left or right turn and the surface is not what it should be.

Suth_%285%29.JPG

Suth_%286%29.JPG

Suth_%287%29.JPG

Suth_%288%29.JPG

Suth_%289%29.JPG

And then I found THE SPOT! This is where I want to wake up one morning soon.

It is at the top of a rise and is a flat area where the roadmakers obviously quarried â?? but is excellent to pitch a tent for a night.

Then a little further along is Zeekoegat

For the rest of the story and 22 more pics please refer to :

https://droffarc.wikispaces.com/2008_Sutherland  ;)

Keep 'em reports coming, stunning area, love the wide open spaces.