Scala Teamset & Zumo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
I've been meaning to post this for a while, and due to my tardiness, have probably forgotten some important points  :-\

Let me start off by mentioning that I still think my 76CSX is a better GPS for "off the beaten track riding"
However they all have their strong points and the Zumo tops the list when riding any tar or dirt road that is on Mapsource

Although I do not commute much on the bike, I found that my daily trips between PTA & JHB resulted in a lot of important calls missed.
Time to find a solution.
Enter the Scala Teamset. I did quite a bit of searching and found some interesting info on ADV rider as well

Here is a pic of the unit:

Scala2.jpg

Basically you need a bluetooth enabled cellphone, the Garmin Zumo and a bluetooth headset (enter Scala)

First, you pair your cellphone with the Zumo. Importantly, I later discovered that having the phone in your jacket worked better than if it is in your luggage
Go to the spanner on the main screen. Tap the "bluetooth button. Tap connect phone (change) and "add device". Ensure your phones bluetooth is on

Second, pair the Scala unit with the Zumo

Scala1.jpg

VERY NB - Make sure the Scala unit is PROPERLY charged and for some reason (I picked this up on ADV rider as well) It only seems to work well after the 2nd charge.
Furthermore, don't try to test the unit in the quiet of your study one evening, it will NOT work. There must be a fair amount of background noise for it to activate. Turn the HiFi on and test.

Comments:
I have mixed feelings. It works VERY well, but just when I think it's the bee's knees, it disappoints.

Calls to or from a male voice are more discernable. It's almost as if the pitch of a female voice is too high.

I'm sure if fitted to my Shoei Helmet things may just be different, but I can only clearly hear the caller below approx 100 to 110km/hour. This is with my Arai Tourex helmet

Voice navigation is perfect and works exceptionally well

Incoming cellphone calls ring 75% of the time. I'll receive 2 or three calls no problem. Then I'll notice an incoming call and tap the screen to answer, but the call will NOT patch through to the headset. By turning the Zumo off an on again the problem will be solved, ..... for the first 2 or 3 calls.
I'm deducing the Zumo is the problem and not the Scala, but I cannot be sure

Although the Scala has 2 earphones, it is mono and listening to music is not the greatest. I suspect that plugging decent earphones into the audio out on the Zumo will provide much better sound.

Dialing on the Zumo is not complicated, but not easy either and definately takes concentration off the road. I try to avoid it and generally only use the "last call" facility

I have not used it with a pillion yet, but this should work OK

Although the unit keeps it's charge quite well, Get the plug-in battery charger and charge on the bike when parked at the overnight stop.