Sealing the rear rim of a KTM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadAl

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Lito here. So MadAlan the cripple and I were chatting today over weak booze and strong dope about the possibilities of sealing the rear rim of the Katooms we fantasise about. We got on it and its done.

Ok. Now that my coffee's cold and my bed aint wet, the truth is that we were having real coffee and chatting about nonscence. He showed me the project of a chap called Sakurama on AdvRider and spontaneously, we decided to do the rims of our bikes.

Team Incomplete is his website and I have long been impressed by his technical know how and proficiency. We went off to DeLaReys and got the following

1) Sandpaper to ruff up the rim to provide an adhesive surface for the silicone
2) Silicone
3) Turps to clean the rim
4) Electrical tape to seal the spokes
5) Tubeless valve stems

Got home to Al's garage and got on the job. One legged Al managed to get his own rear wheel off (well done Al - Ed) but needed me to give him a back massage and coffee.

Breaking the bead was left to me of course with no help from cripple Alan. Alan if you might remember busted his leg in 30 places recently when he crashed off his Vespa going over a pavement at Camps Bay.

That was definately the hardest part. Giving Alan the massage of course. Breaking the bead of the double retainer bead of the rear rims of the two Katooms, was a breeze compared to that crap.

Oh yes, we had to get a GClamp at the shop too. This was to break the bead on the pain in the ass rim. Alan conveniently buggered off to the physio and I had to carry on by myself. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I had to bring pizza for lunch cos Alan is such a cheap bastard. I mean... Hilde had to bring it.

Heres some pics to document our progress.

Oh wait. We need to get them on the net first. Its now 7 hours later and we have the wrong tubeless valves, but the silicone is done and is drying right now. Conveniently, Alan has a 4x4 race that he wants to attend to tomorrow while I have to go to....... HORROR OF HORRORS..... a BMW shop to go and get a tubeless valve for each bike. :shock: :shock:

I cant believe how much I have to lower myself to step into a place like that, but for a cripple from a Vespa, I will do it. Wish me luck as I sleep tonight, preparing myself mentally for the pain and disgrace of entering a shop like that tomorrow morning... :oops: :wink: