Sleipnir has found a home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R100GS / Kalahari
Hi fellow Airheads!
Been lurking a long time and feeling out the site, when I got stopped today by a WD on my way home, I had to start participating!  :ricky:

So the history... Been into bikes since 6 years old, took a break when I moved down from Namibia to Stellenbosch to study..
But the inner drive was there and the fires were flamed on strong by my dad  >:D
Last year was the start of the big airhead collecting mission: 3 within 6 months! Think that's quite a record!  :lol8:

So this was the first that was supposed to be mine  :-[ :

bild2xq.jpg

bild1rmr.jpg

Expat bought it in Germany and drove it down all the waaayyyy to Tanzania and finally settled on the shores of the lake, dad caught the fever strong and took mum on a epic roadtrip to go fetch the R80... When they got back, it was christened TanZamNam and promptly decided that NOONE will ever touch/get that bike (Unbeknownst to me  :bueller:)
Here I was still deciding what colour scheme it should have (torn between the classic red/white and bumblebee (wife ::))) and blissfully unaware of the truth!
Months pass after being told it had been stripped down and on its way to JHB to an airhead guru for tender loving care... Including the fabled Siebenrock upgrade kit!

Fast forward some more, interspersed by cursing and dreaming, my best mate and myself got tickets to Windhoek to drive down my sister's prezzy, a Land Rover TD5. (This being our 5 year wedding anniversary weekend, what an awesome wife!!) Low and behold what waited for me  :drif::

img20130128wa0003.jpg

Took us all of a day and a half to haul home like greased lightning!!!!! Wooohooooooo!!!

Some close ups:

img20130206174640.jpg

img20130206174601.jpg

Got in touch with the PO, learned he cared more for the bike than for himself, lol, recently (2k) back replaced the driveshaft and farkled it up right the way I likes 'em.
Has a few issues, battery has to be replaced (had a long life and getting to its end) and the right Bing seems to cry (2 x now) if Sleipner didn't get ridden enough (Bugger, twice a day not enough?????)

So on my todo list (after I study and know by heart Infracaninophile OCD tear down and rebuild of his R100, google it  :spitcoffee:):

1.      Rear wheel bearing

2.      Rear splines grease

3.      Rear boot check

4.      Rear drum/brake shoes check

Anyways, I hope someone can fill me in a bit more on the history of this bike! Just so glad to find kindred spirits!

Cheers!

B

"Part of owning a BMW lies in the challenge of finding ways to thwart their designer's malevolent intentions."

Latest posts