Slipping Clutch of 690/701

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuRP

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
My 701 with some 7000km on the odo will get its fourth (4th!) clutch next week.
This is a big bike, not a 125 stroker, plus I've shortened the gearing quite a bit... so I hardly use the clutch, in fact only for pulling away and changing gear.
Add to this I've never had a bike of which I needed to renew the clutch because it slipped, I'm not 'heavy' on a clutch.
But this bike eats them!

The OEM clutch started slipping when big power was asked, around 125kph & above in 6th gear, and keep in mind my gearing is a shorter than std one so this is at higher-than-std revs.
Below this all was fine so I could, and did, continue the multi day ride.
Although a bit strange I put in a new set of plates, Ferodo brand - and all was fine again.
Oh, the old plates did not look any different than 'just-used' plates, no hotspots or anything, and I've kept them as spares.

This 2nd set started slipping again though, under the exact same conditions: above ~125kph.
Below this all was fine but for pulling a little wheely, it slipped then too.
I got KTM Original plates and put these in, and I added 1.8mm thick washers to up the spring tension - which I noticed when pulling the clutch, just a liiiitle more force required.
All was fine again and I parked it for a while.

Then we did our Pensioners trip in the Richtersveld, and all was good.
On the last day, having split up to go each other's home already, I wanted to pull a wheely on tar somewhere... but the clutch slipped again!
This was some 2500km's only, and again NO, no overly clutch use neither any abuse .... fuk!

I now have ready an again KTM original clutch set (springs & all) plus some 15% stronger springs from EBC.
I've tested the springs against the std ones and they are a little stronger, so this should be good.

But, but, seeing my history with this bike I doubt this will be enough, the clutch simply kaks after some time.
Oh, good quality oil used only, Liqui Moly 10W50 or /60, plus this is replaced way more often than what is prescribed.
On top of this all, a friend has similar problems with his 690, and he already tried the EBC 15% stronger springs (with new plates of course)... to no avail, after a very short stint his clutch started slipping!

Now questions....

- who has or had similar problems?
- any suggestions to a possible cure?