Smaller 4x4 Vehicles - What's 0n the Market?

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

ClimbingTurtle

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Until what year was the Suzuki Grand Vitara available in SA?
Still available - and 2nd hand units are well priced currently.
The 3.2 V6 was a beast, stopped production in 2009 I think?
The 2.4 is still sold - I have one - great vehicle - I towed a camping trailer over mountains with it - and its a proper 4x4 (permanent) with low range and lockable centre diff.
Welcome to test mine if you want!
Oh - they are all 5-door tho - there was no 2-door version in SA.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
That is a full-sized SUV, that throws the whole market open, might then just look at a LWB Pajero, to be honest.

Is there a reason to only stick to the really short vehicles? Many of the 'normal' SUVs are not much longer than the short ones and much shorter than the bakkies.

Defender 90 is overpriced at the moment
The Pajeros above seems like a good option.

pietas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
You used to get a short wheelbase Toyota Land Cruiser. Think 1990's models. But you rarely see them.

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
all grey imports

Vintage_Mania

1979 Honda CB400T
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a reason to only stick to the really short vehicles? Many of the 'normal' SUVs are not much longer than the short ones and much shorter than the bakkies.

Defender 90 is overpriced at the moment
The Pajeros above seems like a good option.
Parking space - 1m is as good as 15m in this case.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
What about an FJ? It feels short? :LOL:

The FJ is only 300mm (a school ruler) longer than the 2door Pajero above.
The "big" Discovery 4 is 200mm longer than the FJ

A Toy Hilux double cab is about 1000mm longer than the 2door Pajero.
And 500mm longer than the Disco 4

IDR

Grey Hound
Administrator
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
The FJ is only 300mm (a school ruler) longer than the 2door Pajero above.
The "big" Discovery 4 is 200mm longer than the FJ

A Toy Hilux double cab is about 1000mm longer than the 2door Pajero.
And 500mm longer than the Disco 4
And the wheelbase is the same difference as well - 2.69m for the FJ vs 2.35m for the shorty Paj.

In terms of space though, I would take an FJ over a short Paj any and every day.... if fuel consumption wasn't a consideration, of course - though the Pajeros don't have amazing consumption either.

Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Also interested in reading about everybody's opinions and suggestions.... keep them coming ;)

I friend of mine is also in the market for a "smaller" size vehicle with off road capabilities also due to parking space issues at his flat.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Last week I dropped off my Pajero in CT for some TLC. I came home with In Touch 2's LWB 2004 3.2 Pajero with 388 000 kms on the clock. I could not believe a vehicle could feel that solid and responsive at that mileage. It felt no different to mine with 187 000 on the clock.
Ask Kamanya and Legedema about opinions of their SWB 3.2 Pajero.s. Both have done hard 4x4 with theirs.

Vintage_Mania

1979 Honda CB400T
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Last week I dropped off my Pajero in CT for some TLC. I came home with In Touch 2's LWB 2004 3.2 Pajero with 388 000 kms on the clock. I could not believe a vehicle could feel that solid and responsive at that mileage. It felt no different to mine with 187 000 on the clock.
Ask Kamanya and Legedema about opinions of their SWB 3.2 Pajero.s. Both have done hard 4x4 with theirs.
@Kamanya @Legadema

Kelevra

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I might be in the market for a smaller (2-door?) 4x4 vehicle. Not Jimny small and not a single cab bakkie type. What I can think off is:

Land Rover Defender 90
Mitsubishi Pajero SWB
Jeep Wrangler 2-door

What else is there? I can't seem to think of anything else...

AWD can/should also work for me. We do a lot of dirt road traveling including 2-spoor passes and these days towing a kampwa as well, but I have never really "needed" 4x4 in low range - that is not the kind off roads I do by choice.
I have a wrangler 2 door, love it but my passengers keep getting seasick for some reason. Towing in a SWB vehicle (anything heavier than a bike trailer) is a nightmare. My Sis have a Pajero SWB...much more stable. The Land Rover was brought here by the British to punish us after the war.

If you are not gonna use low range the skip the jeep (this is where they really shine)

Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6. Auto, Low range and a bunch of lekker creature comforts. Fuel economy better than the pajeros. Just needs a lift kit and AT tyres, and you are good to go. Towed CPT > JHB with it. Yes fuel usage spiked, but I didnt know of the trailer.

Just a note... fuel economy not much worse than the 2.4. So if you can get one, go for the 3.2

Kamanya

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
I might be in the market for a smaller (2-door?) 4x4 vehicle. Not Jimny small and not a single cab bakkie type. What I can think off is:

Land Rover Defender 90
Mitsubishi Pajero SWB
Jeep Wrangler 2-door

What else is there? I can't seem to think of anything else...

AWD can/should also work for me. We do a lot of dirt road traveling including 2-spoor passes and these days towing a kampwa as well, but I have never really "needed" 4x4 in low range - that is not the kind off roads I do by choice.
Go sit in the 90. Don't even drive it, just sit in it. Now imagine you have to drive for any distance? Now drive it.
It's a pile of overpriced nostalgic shit. It's one level below a tractor.
My friend has one and swears by it. He's a knob.

I am super biased about the SWB. I don't know a single person who's owned one who doesn't regret selling it. It is a very refined beast of a car.

The Jeep I know less about.

Vintage_Mania

1979 Honda CB400T
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, look I can appreciate that individual experiences are just that. I know Defenders very well, I grew up with them and have owned them - from Series I right through to the early County/CSW models. I think I'm a knob, maybe, as well.

What about the XJ's? They look like they can be very capable, lot less bulk than modern 4x4 SUV's. Old tech but that straight-6 motor seems to last forever.

Kamanya

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Okay, look I can appreciate that individual experiences are just that. I know Defenders very well, I grew up with them and have owned them - from Series I right through to the early County/CSW models. I think I'm a knob, maybe, as well.

What about the XJ's? They look like they can be very capable, lot less bulk than modern 4x4 SUV's. Old tech but that straight-6 motor seems to last forever.
I'm being facetious about it.

My buddy gets teased mercilessly about his. I try make him drive mine every chance I get.