Smoking (Black) 990R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smittie2

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I have got a 2010 990R with 9500km on the clock, I went to the bash on the weekend, did a 1800km round trip, the bike is fitted with akro's.

Towards the middle of the trip I have realized that the bike was a bit down on power, yesterday on my way back, it started to push out black smoke, as if it is running too rich, just on the back cylinder. Then on the last 100km of the trip, I did flat out in 5th gear, when I reach my house, it was a completly different bike, it was so lively, the way that i knew it, still smoking a bit.

I did a lot of slow riding, maybe in the wrong gear, to high a gear, for the rpm?? Was trying to fit with the fuel range of the other bikes on the trip....The airfilter is clogged??

Can anybody assist, that had mabe a similiar problem, do I need to take it for mapping again, I am scared that it will damaged the motor.

Will check again, but when i looked last it was not using any oil. (Yesterday afternoon)

I suspect the BM's that did the trip with me, they hold me back, it need to run these things!!! :biggrin: