Solar panel question

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

DirtyTeNeRe

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
I am not too worried about "grid fees". Already paying almost R400 a month for that.
for now. I expect this to be increased to cater for our new way of not using Eskom as much. their income is shrinking. best not to be on the first wave of anything new is my position, Ill hang back and see how it goes. and torment myself with pictures of other peoples fancy toys. its like a boy scouts wet dream, self sufficiency!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Ja daai 150 geyser is my skoonma sin ,as sy net soveel as skeef kyk vir my dan stort sy koud:love::giggle:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Die skedule op die switches werk lekker en geld 90% van die tyd, maar soos jy se, as mens n omweer dag het moet mens maar hier en daar afskakel.

Soms bel die tuiningenieur my om te vra of ek weer die pompe sal aansit (boorgat en druk pomp) :LOL:

the_BOBNOB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Just to some more info. I have gone 8kw inverter, 11 kw bat, 5.5kw solar. I did the panel installation myself, and bought all the hardware direct. I was lucky to have a master electrician to connect it up. currently I am only using eskom as a trickle feed to please the CT coil. I have gas cooker and one 200 lit geyser on solar evac tubes. Another 150 lit geyser runs twice a day on solar sun controlled buy wifi switch by cell phone. I think summer will save me 90-95% of my bill, winter will be less, but will see when it comes.
Now having a access bond at a interest rate of 8%, borrowing the funds (R150K) adds R2500 to your payment ( I think ?). There is a 14-18% increase in electricity price per annum........it also adds value to your property 10-12%
And load shedding is a non event.

@briv did you jump through all the City Of Cape Town solar hoops or did you just do it and screw them and there stupid solar requirements?

briv

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
@briv did you jump through all the City Of Cape Town solar hoops or did you just do it and screw them and there stupid solar requirements?
I skipped all their kark.......if they could provide me with power I would most probably not have gone solar....yet . But what court would be on their side if I refuse to pay any of their extra requirement protocols. Id rather then ask them to come fetch their wires and go fully off grid with another R100k spend. I don't feed back in to the grid.

VaalBaas

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
The oke I use to do the clever work told me about all the relevant and legal stuff, but akso told me he does work for Eskom....

My only question was...When the day day comes is everything right and on spec

Coc - check

So all good

VaalBaas

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I see this as jumping the gun... early.

When they decide to raise whatevever I do have some advantage and for now loadshedding is a non event

DirtyTeNeRe

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
I hope so, I reckon it's gonna balance out, but you have fancy things to fiddle with. You're winning

Cracker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Tbh, if you're getting a 30% increase to your electric bill, solar is a must.

Loadshedding is a thing now but will be gone soon, just a bad memory, like covid. But batteries you use now for loadshedding will deliver free power when it's dark, so still a win.

C'mon Dirty, you bought a decent bike, now treat yourself to some decent electric gadgetry. You can then tell us how shit UK solar is, as well. (y)

DirtyTeNeRe

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
I am trying, LOOK! just by chance, this week I got a pre-paid meter, its really like the universe reads the forum and adjusts itself for me.

@Cracker my view is that Eskom will adjust grid fees and special levies and things for the solar people anyway. so savings will be moot. I hope not but lets see.

this is fancy. I am happy now.

1669298532141.png

UK is shit when it has inclement weather.

Cracker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
I agree with the shifting Eskom goalposts, there's no free lunch ...... Unless you work there......

RobD

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
I am trying, LOOK! just by chance, this week I got a pre-paid meter, its really like the universe reads the forum and adjusts itself for me.

@Cracker my view is that Eskom will adjust grid fees and special levies and things for the solar people anyway. so savings will be moot. I hope not but lets see.

View attachment 804598

That is debateable but what is not moot is the sheer convenience of never having your power interrupted and what price does one put on that?

DirtyTeNeRe

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
Fair enough, and debatable. It's my view, in the end Eskom simply cannot afford a shrinking customer base all this considered. And so taxes or levies will adjust. We are in it together like it or not.

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS

View attachment 804598

I don't agree on your point that Eskom will introduce levies, etc. for solar users. First, the start-up of various private generators is imminent. It will happen, which will bring pricing competition. Then, Eskom has got no control over how munics structure and charge their customers. Eskom also needs to decommission some older power stations. The sooner, the better and if usage drop, they can do it sooner.

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Fair enough, and debatable. It's my view, in the end Eskom simply cannot afford a shrinking customer base all this considered. And so taxes or levies will adjust. We are in it together like it or not.
The normal households has always been a bone of contention for Eskom. They would prefer not to have them for customers as they really are geared to be a bulk supplier.

DirtyTeNeRe

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
there is a deficit. Which ever way you shape it. Can't escape or outstep that

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
there is a deficit. Which ever way you shape it. Can't escape or outstep that
Residential customers make up 20% of Eskom sales. It is not where they make the big bucks, or losses.

DirtyTeNeRe

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
Ok I don't know any better or more. 20% is better than 30% but I remain unconvinced, I'll hang back mostly because my circumstances allow. In my defense however, I am now prepaid. And have a digital device.

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Even the corrupt do not wish to part with 20%, almost a quarter of your revenue.....
It is also almost a quarter of your cost. Anyway, I cannot debate the "corrupt" part. That is the easy way to stop any discussion.