• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD-Honda XR 650 R 2001 model---SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefalk

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Its with a bit of a heavy heart that I am letting go of my XR650R. I bought the bike unseen from a forum member 4 odd years ago.
In that time I have put on about 12000KM. For the guys who are not familiar with this machine, from yesteryear... Its a bulletproof, over engineered Honda. The XRR offers great simplicity and reliability in a light weight package (dry weight around 130kg) with over 60HP, making it one of the top achievers among the dirt bike power to weight ratios, even though its 20 years old! Please dont confuse it with the XR650L, which is the older, fatter , air cooled, auntie of the XRR. The Big Red Pig, makes a perfect dual sport, which leans to the off-road spectrum, kind of like the poor mans KTM 500.

I used it as a light adventure bike, for Cederberg, Tankwa and a few multiday trips and I must say, that the XRR shines in that role! You will be hard pressed to find a better suited, more capable, comfortable, fun, reliable and powerful machine in this price class or any price class actually!

I have done the following maintenance:
Top and bottom Shock bearings
Swing Arm bearing kit
Brake pads front and back
Chain Rollers
Wavy front brake rotor
Steering neck bearings
New OEM fork boots
Fork seals and oil.

Although this is a well used bike, the fundamentals are good. Motor and gearbox are 100%
The motor is stock, and has not missed a beat in the past 4 years.

There are some nice farkles on the bike:

-It has a pumper carb.
-Oil sight tube modification
-Long range Acerbis tank 24l capacity
-ProTaper bars
-Vapor speedo (usually works)
-K&N air filter
-Foot pegs, widened
-"half daft" heavy duty bash plate
-Folding rear view mirrors
-Comfort seat in black is a life saver compared to the usual XRR plank of death
-Sprokets are 15-42 which is longer than what these bikes are usually equipped with, but worked well for me when covering ground, on adventure style rides. The bike cruises effortlessly at 120.
-I added an FMF Slip on
The side covers are somewhat scuffed and have been sanded in the past. The stator and clutch covers are scuffed and could use a respray.

Current chain and sprockets have done 4000km.
Rear tyre- Mitas MC23 Rock rider has about 1000km left on it.

The bike has had an oil and filter change every 1800km and at times sooner.
Valve clearances have been done every 3000km.

Papers are in order.
(However the new owner will need to put rear indicators on the bike, before getting roadworthy.)

I'm asking R46000. Come and have a look... I'm in Hout Bay. PM me here, call or WhatsApp on 0834140241.

Attachments

• xr650r-1.jpg
    xr650r-1.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 461