• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD: The Monster II - 2012 KTM 990 Adventure R (Showroom condition)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renrew

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
KTM 990 Adventure R
Mileage: 12 000km

After much deliberation I’ve decided to sell my KTM 990 R. I know there are probably a couple members that have been waiting for this day for quite a while… Sadly I just feel too sorry for this bike to ride it and my appetite for collecting rare mint bikes have faded a bit. I always thought I’d keep this bike forever, but really have no need to own so many bikes anymore.

It’s in new condition (I don’t use this term lightly) and has rarely been used, always kept indoors, under a KTM bike cover with the wheels off the ground. It’s a once in a lifetime bike!

Anyone that knows me or knows of me, knows that my things are literally always in mint condition and no expense is ever spared. Parts aren’t repaired but replaced even if it just gets a scratch.

Things you should know considering this bike:

1. It is an absolute monster - I’ve ridden other 990R’s and this bike really scares me. It’s tall, incredibly responsive with brute power
2. I might even prefer it to my Super Enduro! It’s that crazy
3. You will not find a better condition 990, let alone a 990R
4. You will battle to find a single mark or scratch anywhere on this bike. A dirty spot you will not find
5. You will battle to find a better condition and cared-for bike on the market, irrespective of the mileage
6. You will not find a 990R with more extras, “better” extras nor a better set-up bike. I have personally curated everything that was done and put on this bike and imported only the most premium extras
7. You will not lose money on this bike
8. There are very few lower mileage 990R’s (Maybe 4 or 5 in SA)
9. No expense was spared on this bike - That counts for extras and upkeep
10. The nooks-and-crannies and hard-to-reach places on the bike are as clean as the visible areas on the bike. The true test if a bike is truly mint
11. It was rarely used as I’ve had many other bikes that were rather used as I wanted to “save” it
12. This bike is a legend, an immensely capable and an absolute beast of a bike (Handling, performance and suspension-wise). It outperforms an 1190R and 1290R in many ways (I’ve owned two 1190R’s and a 1290R)
13. You will struggle to find a more capable big ADV bike than this except the KTM 950 Super Enduro
14. The 265mm suspension travel in this bike is incredible and remains unmatched in this category
15. If you wanted to you could sell the extras separately and likely make back more than half the price of the bike at least. I’ve spent more on extras on this bike than the price of a brand-new Husqvarna 701 with extras!
16. Everything on the bike is in new condition including the extras, spares and original parts. Most of the original parts have been labeled and bubble wrapped
17. I have likely forgotten about a couple extras and spares that come with the bike
18. The extras and spares alone included with the bike amounts to a retail value of about R110 000 - R150 000 not factoring in the new rand/dollar exchange rate
19. Papers, books and keys are in order with licenses paid till Dec-2019
20. The bike is insured for approximately R200 000 which is lower than it can be insured for - More than R200 000 was unnecessary as I almost never ride it

On the rare occasion that the bike was ridden, it was stripped (To a reasonable level), cleaned, lubed, shined, dried with a compressor, silicone sprayed, left to idle for a while, covered with the bike cover and put on the paddock stands. KTM never did work on this bike as their workmanship is not at the level I require and have thus only used high-level private mechanics that humor my perfectionism or done the work myself.

Services are up to date and maintenance has always been done to an unnecessary level. I haven’t ridden this bike in months and so the battery is nearly dead. The bike is still on original chain, sprockets and brake pads.

I will supply the following with the sale of the bike:

1. A new set of tires of your choice
2. A new battery of your choice

Price: R185 000

cell: 0832276043
mail: werner.vanzyl AT yahoo.com

Location: Bike is kept in Yzerfontein, Western Cape in a garage at my holiday home - The bike can be viewed there or trailered to my place in Green Point for very interested parties.

Happy to show the bike to anyone willing to drive to Yzerfontein, I’m sure there are lot’s interested in seeing what a mint bike should really look like ;)

Pictures and a list of all the extras (Last picture) and spares supplied to follow, I’ll let the pictures talk for themselves:

More pictures can be found in my Dropbox Folder (Will update later):

PS - My 2016 registered (First registration and only uncrated in 2016), one owner new condition KTM 950 Super Enduro R fully specced with only 7 000km is also for sale - Ideally I’d like both bikes to go to the same owner as I feel these bikes need to go to someone that is as passionate about KTM as I am. And I don’t want to separate the brothers! They need to go to someone that will look after them as well as I have.

Price for both: R395k (R15k off the combined price)

I am willing to offer a R3 000 sales commission to anyone that puts me in contact with someone that buys both bikes.

Link to my KTM 950 Super Enduro: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=234211.0

I will be posting this on Gumtree, other international forums and commerce sites online in two weeks time - Let’s hope it can stay in SA and go to someone on the forum or someone you know.