Solo Namibia it is!! I Leave on the 13 July 2009 & I Need lots of advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublediamond

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
OK WD's so I have decided to do a solo Namib trip (unless any of you wanna join me  :) )
I have searched the forum & read most of the ride reports on Namib & Kaokoa etc & that is really where I am feeling drawn to. I love the fact that it seem so desolate & yet so beautiful & so far from civilisation. The thought of seeing the Himba tribes while touring on my bike seems so exotic :D

But I still need lots of advice from the more learned & experienced amongst us please.

I Plan to Leave from JHB on Monday early morning 13 July, thru Bots - I would really really REALLY like to do as much of this trip on dirt roads. I dont mind technical riding within reason, as for all intense & purpose I will be solo.
I dont mind camping but will be looking for a few nice B&B's or lodges as well.
I want to get as far away from civilization as possible.

Please help with some route suggestions, camping spots or B&B's & kit suggestions or anything else u feel is relevant. I do have a GPS (Zumo 550) although I am still learning how to use all the functionality etc. I have seen lots of reference to "mapsource?" on WD's although not entirely sure what it is or how it works, suppose I just need to take the time to figure out.

I am grateful for any & all advice & hope to do said "advisors" proud by doing a suitably inspiring ride report on my return.

Freedom!! :ricky: