Sosatie and Kebab recipes please

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Please share some recipes.
NExt Saturday 21 May its party time for mom and the two oldest kids.

Im thinking of beef sosaties. Or chicken. We have some guests who dont eat pork, so thats out

Also how do I prevent the meat from drying out too much.

Hot and quick
or Low and slow?

Thank you

ClimbingTurtle

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Hot & Hard - I hate braaing Sosaties, the marinade always makes them dry & tough, but for beef, high & hard, seer the outside, keep the middle rare/medium rare.

For chicken, the opposite, almost - lower heat, but turn them often so they dont get dry, and take them off 1 minute before they are ready....

We always say - you can put the meat back on if its underdone, but if its overdone.....

As an aside - one of my mates made beef sosaties in a vinegar based marinade and braaied them on a weekend away - they were so dry, it was 1 beer per sosatie, just to get it down.... Hy mag nie meer sosaties kamp toe bring.....

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I was thinking of apricot jam, suurlemoen. garlic or ginger and a very small drop of chili or curry. MAybe even a bitterer beer to work against the sweet jam

We dont have access to chutney anymore.

Ragbert

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Forget about chicken or beef.....it flew out the window!!

Pork Neck sosaties!
Get your butcher to de-bone a pork neck or two and cut in to cubes.
Get pepper robot and cut in to 1.5cm block and same with 2 or 3 big onions. Hot pepperdews will be the cherry on top
Buy the tick sosatie stokies at West pack. Estimate how many sosaties you will be assembling and place the amount of stokkies in lukewarm water to soak.
Start the assembly, preferably with a kitchen mate, in the following random order but always start with a veggie:
  • onion
  • meat
  • pepper
  • meat
  • pepperdew and so forth.
No meat cubes should touch another!

Once the assembly is completed take the assemblies and stack them in a tupperware marinade containers.
Pour a mixture of Jimmy's Steakhouse marinade and Ma' Dolly's sweet and sour sauce over said assembly. Place the lid on and let it sit in the fridge for 2 or more hours. Turning every time you get your favorite refreshment...
Tip: Wrap the containers with cling-wrapp to avoid spillage and very expensive dog food!

Braai on medium to hot fire. I use a "toe-knyp-rooster" in order to have some refreshments as well. Bast the sosaties with the sauces from the tupperware. Let it rest and serve with potato salad and potbrood!

Will look for some pictures to post.

PS: Sauces can be substituted with your favorite braai basting brand!

roxenz

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
We never buy sosaties (all disappointing), always make our own.

1. Use quality meat.
2. Dried fruit is the key. Include apricots, peaches and prunes. Together with onion and red/orange sweet pepper.

Any BBQ style marinade will work, Asian style like Korean a good variation. For chicken also consider a mild, sweet and tangy curry marinade. Sweet and sour combination good for sosaties. Marinade at least overnight.

Ragbert

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Im thinking of beef sosaties. Or chicken. We have some guests who dont eat pork, so thats out

Also how do I prevent the meat from drying out too much.

Hot and quick
or Low and slow?

Thank you
#1 use a good cut of meat.
#2 marinade for longer and turning regularly.
#3 medium heat, grill adjusted to have a sizzle and not burning the marinade/sugar
#4 basting during the grill process.
#5 have a taster that you can pull a apart and test drive the tenderness

Too bad on your guests for not eating pork....

Edgar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Forget about chicken or beef.....it flew out the window!!

Pork Neck sosaties!
Get your butcher to de-bone a pork neck or two and cut in to cubes.
Get pepper robot and cut in to 1.5cm block and same with 2 or 3 big onions. Hot pepperdews will be the cherry on top
Buy the tick sosatie stokies at West pack. Estimate how many sosaties you will be assembling and place the amount of stokkies in lukewarm water to soak.
Start the assembly, preferably with a kitchen mate, in the following random order but always start with a veggie:
  • onion
  • meat
  • pepper
  • meat
  • pepperdew and so forth.
No meat cubes should touch another!

Once the assembly is completed take the assemblies and stack them in a tupperware marinade containers.
Pour a mixture of Jimmy's Steakhouse marinade and Ma' Dolly's sweet and sour sauce over said assembly. Place the lid on and let it sit in the fridge for 2 or more hours. Turning every time you get your favorite refreshment...
Tip: Wrap the containers with cling-wrapp to avoid spillage and very expensive dog food!

Braai on medium to hot fire. I use a "toe-knyp-rooster" in order to have some refreshments as well. Bast the sosaties with the sauces from the tupperware. Let it rest and serve with potato salad and potbrood!

Will look for some pictures to post.

PS: Sauces can be substituted with your favorite braai basting brand!
Jimmy's steakhouse marinade works well on most meats. I also use it on chicken😉