South coast holidays ... the hard way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
MENTALPAUSE

(noun  men.tal.pause  Ι  \ ˈmen-təl-ˌpȯz ˈ \)
:  the natural cessation of common sense in a man's life when he gradually stops having periods of lucidity, that usually occurs between the ages of 45 and 55
*  see also  men.o.porsche  [for caged individuals]

#Ref:  NOT the Merriam-Webster, but adapted

So, the S.O. has dictated that we spend the festive season on the KZN south coast with her family. 

Her family comprises mom (who likes me) and dad (who doesn’t). 
And it also comprises – to be ‘shared’ on the same joyous Christmas Day – the stepdad (who dislikes me) and the stepmom (who doesn’t). 

It’s complicated.

Needless to say, staying more than two weeks in such an environment led to some hesitation, even trepidation, on my part … and some disappointment on hers.  So instead, a compromise was reached :  I shall be doing an ‘adventure’ ride on my new bike (Honda NC750 DCT) after the S.O. flies up to the in-laws.

To be specific :  a 3-day “scenic” tour from Cape Town to Ramsgate via George and Graaff-Reinet, and a 2-day “leather-to-the-weather” race back via Steynsburg and Hanover.  Which makes for a 3 500 km round trip, assuming no mechanical, navigational and/or physiological mishaps. 

In 5 days.  Solo.

To put that into perspective, allow this Geography teacher to remind you that :
• the trip UP will be equivalent to me riding the length of South Africa in 3 days (Cape Town to Beit Bridge @ 21 hours and 1 920 km)
• the trip DOWN will be equivalent to me riding the breadth of the country (Port Nolloth to Durban @ 18 hours and 1 710 km)

Hence the mentalpause.

Please also bear the following in mind that :
• I am well into my 50s
• I am in the worst possible physical shape of my life
• I’ll have to ride the longest part of the trip during the summer solstice (the longest day of the year)
• I consume cigarettes, burgers and beers at a daily rate that would embarrass even Ben Trovato
• I’ll do part of the journey on the second-most dangerous road in the country (according to the RAF)
• I was last on a motorbike nearly 3 years ago (the Honda has only just been for its 1 000 km running-in service)
and finally, the fact that :
• My S.O. so hates me right now!

Should make for a fun trip.

[Editor’s Note :  The correspondent may or may not be able to report on the final outcome of the journey … especially if successful!]