Storieboek ride to the Bash day 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uyster

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Our storieboek day 2 ride to the Bash

We were :

• Ball and chain aka Ballas – Honda Express twin
  • Blinkes aka Blinkn@@! – Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Cocky – KTM 990
  • Bradley”s aka Babes – KTM 990
  • Ludwig – BMW 650
  • Yours truly aka Uysster – KTM 950
We gathered at the Houthoop Wed night and did what every adventure rider would do on the 1st night….dop and chop.
Thanks for sponsoring the Lambertsbaai meat Blinkes 👊👊👊👊

Thursday we departed for Kleinzee to fuel up and head for Port Nolloth for breakfast.

We arrived at the Lekkersing/Eksteenfontein turnoff at just after 11 am where we all had a steering damper ( Black Label)

Ballas was our undisputed leader, hoofseun and we all looked up to him in shear admiration :D:LOL::ROFLMAO:, he was adamant that we ride the track which we discovered much later was the Tech 1 route. He would show me on his GPS and I would sell the idea to the group in a convincing way.
Cocky on the left, the negotiator.
Ballas met n steering damper.jpg

His GPS was post WW 2 and possibly all the info was completely outdated. White dots on his GPS supposedly indicated hectic stuff so we would avoid those areas. HA HA !!

1/10/2022, 15:10 GPS Tracks for WARR ... NATIONAL BASH 27 - 30 OCTOBER 2022 | Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Technical 1

78 km Very difficult; Soft sand, rocks, technical, small bike

suitable, knoblies, 3l camelbak

Lekkerrrr fun and games still, these two apparently belong to a secret underground butt movement,
Ballas en Cocky.jpg

Re group.jpg

Old fence.jpg
Yours truly.jpg

After some spectacular sand riding through amazing landscapes we arrived at a fork and this was the start of the challenging 45 kms that was ahead of us.
Time for another steering damper 😜😜

Steering damper time.jpg

We entered the mountain track into the river bed descending down a knarly rocky track towards the riverbed which was simply never ending, rocky deep sand, tight turns, up steep embankments ….on and on… on a heavy loaded 950,

We all split up , Ballas and I waited for the rest to arrive but it was quiet and there were no ways that we could turn back to help. It was difficult and I dropped my bike a couple of times, it was to heavy to lift so I had to unpack, get it upright and then start the whole process again.
It was sapping my energy and also start smokkelling with your”kop” so you ridie like a palooka in fear of dropping the bike again.

Did I mention that it was hot ?

After what felt like hours I could see the green of the Orange River and missed the track completely and buggered on for another couple of 100 metres in very very deep river sand, I was running out of energy and my hydration pack was completely empty.
950 sleeping.jpg

Out of complete desperation I tried to locate my position using google maps and it worked although there was zero reception, it also picked up the track towards the Growcery.
Going was slow and energy sapping. If one had to do it “fresh” and with enough water its totally doable but after hours of riding its another story altogether.

I just could,nt get into 2nd gear and open up, steep short sand hills full of rocks made it very tricky, Eventually I decide bugger this, my bike was stuck in sand again and a rock under the back wheel stopped me.
Unpacking and wrestling wasn’t going to happen again. I decided to walk to the river get some water and then setup camp for the night.
I still had my sense of humour as this was not life threatening yet and enjoyed,,, well almost every moment 😛

I had everything I needed anyway.

I heard roaring bikes behind me and knew we were all fairly close together. It was getting dark. I heard Cocky’s 990 for a short while in front of me and then saw 2 sets of vehicle lights coming towards me.

Kamanya in a Landcruiser and a bakkie arrived, fetching the last group 1st and then picked up Cocky and I on the way back.

We left the bikes right there to be recovered the next day.

So big KUDUS to Ballas that made it to the Growcery alerting the authorities and got the recovery going.

Big KUDUS to Bradley’s for helping to lift the Piano ( Super Tenere} so many times and looking after
Blinkes and Ludwig, btw this was Ludwig’s 1st proper trip and he qualified with flying colours under difficult conditions. KUDUS Ludwig !!!
Bradley's aka Babes is a seasoned enduro rider but also dropped his bike on his leg and had to wriggle himself out from under his bike, no one in sight at that stage to help. His knee was buggered after that and probably the worst injury amongst us . Mind you Cocky arm had a serious brandewynvlek which changed colours during the course of days.

Gavin Bradley.jpg

Blinkes you’re a legend bru, when the going gets tough you park off and light a eintchie ! James Dean style .. 👏👏 to ad to Bradley;s frustration :ROFLMAO:

We arrived at the camp and the festive gees was in the air, cold beers, green grass and delicious food,

A big thank you to Hingsding that invited me to share his tent as soon as I arrived after our loooong day. 🙌🙌

Here is the mayor of Loeriesfontein sipping on a Richtersveld special .
Hingsding.jpg

Untill next time it was an experience of note.
Lots of fun and laughter untill late at night.
You are welcome to ad your Bash comments and experiences to this thread

Attachments

• Re group 2.jpg
    Re group 2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 2