Sump plug question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble steed

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
So it seems last time my X-challenge got serviced they over-tightened sump plug. As in when I recently did oil change myself, I needed a really long socket arm to get the thing loose.

I had the official BMW filter kit - new oil filter and gasket and new copper crush ring for sump plug. When tightened to spec, was still oozing quite a bit of oil from around plug. when tightened over spec, now just oozing a little bit of oil from plug, takes a few days to develop a R2 coin sized damp mark on garage floor under bike,

Do I just tighten further as workshop did, until it stops - which makes me worried about stripping thread on sump. Or use new crush washer, or 2 crush washers?

My level of mechanical ability: I am happy to do oil changes, air filters, electronics, wiring etc, I have never opened engine myself or done bearings etc.

I have previously sent bike up to Durban/Hillcrest for big services, don't have time to do that now, else if anyone can recommend workshop near Port Shepstone/Margate?