Suspension guys. Corrugations and bar shake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
A while back I softened the suspension settings on my 1290 SAR.  I found, the way I ride which is generally a bit slower, the "Standard" setting felt a bit harsh, especially on rockier surface and i'd get bounced around a fair bit.

I set the suspension back to comfort for a while, but I started feeling Like I would find the limit to that setting when I wanted to ride faster, even on tar and the bike would start to flop around a bit, for lack of a better term :biggrin:  So I stiffened it up a bit and basically set every parameter roughly mid way between "Comfort" and "Standard".

This has worked fairly well for me, except for one situation....Standing and going over bigger corrugations at speed. 

By bigger corrugations I mean those deeper ones that look to be about a foot apart, not the little close ones.  Hitting these at say 80km/h or up the bike seems to bounce off them, the front goes very light and i get a hectic bar shake.  Twice it's felt like I was gonna go down (probably feels way worse than it looks/is).  Much worse if the surface is quite loose as well.  Almost everywhere else the bike feels great.

Could this be a suspension setting?  Maybe too much (or too little?) rebound damping?  Otherwise maybe I am riding faster and I should go back to the "Standard" settings and start from there again.

The only other thing I can think of is that I also removed my bar raisers around the same time as fiddling with the suspension, and maybe I'm trying to stand too tall and shifting weight to the rear, or pulling on the bars. It doesn't seem to happen as easily when sitting.