Tankwa - it will take your sole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
I joined this forum in January 2006, shortly after I bought my first motorcycle. A BMW 650 dakar. This Bike I rode to approximately 110 000kms before selling her on.

During this time, Ride reports on this forum showed me many amazing places this country has to offer.

One of the places that always had an allure was the Tankwa Karoo. I needed to experience of the vastness, and of course, the fabled Karoo dirt highways…this in all this time never came to fruition, due to many factors I’d like to call life.

After many years of “life”, I recently decided to buy my 3rd Motorcycle (The PGO I bought from IceCreamMan doesn’t count) After much looking and deliberating, and having my heart set on a 12GS LC I realised the majority of these bikes were above my price range ( this is where “life” comes in handy, as before I may or may not have made some dubious financial decisions to facilitate said purchase of a 12GS LC), and the ones that was within my range got scooped up before I can say BMW.

While Browsing this here forum, I happened upon a 8GS ADV, for sale in Hout Bay…The price and the bike was the perfect compromise, I am more than familiar with the Rotax twin, I have put it through it’s paces(having owned one that has another 100 000 kms on, done by me), and the added fuel capacity and carrying ability, made a whole bunch of sense suddenly. The location of the bike (which would also enable whole list of buckets to be ticked off my list - thats how it works, right?)

The deal was done before I knew it, just after Christmas.

I had to wait an agonising week before I could take delivery of the bike. Sleep was alluding me…

Finally the day arrived of my flight down to CT, I experienced true hospitality from Friends I made on this forum. Friends that I have for life.

Eisbein picked me up from the airport, after a delayed flight, I crashed at his place, and we would pick up the Bike in Hout bay the following morning.

More erratic sleep…

New Bike Day Finally arrived (Friday)

Matt had everything set up, ready for me to roll. We did quick admin, he handed me a bunch of extra’s and off I rode…

Day 0 (still friday)

The route:

Chappies (of course)
9AD8C7E9-7B76-4248-90DA-00E937AFC609.jpeg

63388A13-BE3D-47C3-A349-D6DAB4774A03.jpeg

And Clarence drive ( bucket list bike ride)
86E6D0BF-BD30-49C0-961B-C9EF9908247A.jpeg

I accidentally forgot my gloves at Esbein’s house, and my hands got burned faktap.

You may have noticed that there is only one photo of Clarence drive, but really, who would stop the pure rush and awesomeness that is this road, to take photos… maybe next time.

I carried on after clarence drive, and took a loop back to Cape town, via theewaterskloof dam.
this photo from on the way there..
C03FC79E-21F3-4B81-92FB-28CE425AC1E3.jpeg

From there I rode down Franschoek Pass on to Kraaifontein to pick up my stuff ( and gloves) from Eisbein’s house. I had a lot of stuff, because the bike has a full set of panniers, which had to be filled)

Destination from there was Biesie’s place in the Pêrel (of Paarl, as jy van Gauteng af kom)
F657DE42-D418-427A-ACC9-B98E54F40BB5.jpeg

06046256-3319-4C40-812B-49C7E723B499.jpeg

Stand by for day 1 ( which still has to be written)

Last edited: