The Adventures of Necris and Bessie the 1150gs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Greetings all
Second post from a decade long lurker, finally back on 2 wheels after 10 years of drought and at long last on a GS
bike has been to two mechanics/restorers locally for pre sale checks, sale concluded at 35k with listed issues

diagnostics came back with errors on throttle sensor only which was easily fixed by VS motorrad technik
this will be Half intro, half to do list

2003 1150gs , 109 000km's
History:

Decat and Y pipe done previously, stock muffler in place
ABS removed entirely
Appears she has been more or less parked for 10 years waiting for me, with a trip around the block weekly to keep things ticking over, otherwise on battery tender.
sadly service history is non existent, so it has been a voyage of discovery

Condition:
Tyres and brake hardware good(lines aside), clutch feels solid and engages nice and early, no unusual vibrations or wobbles.
paint has a few chips but nothing critical
service required, air filter done for
286477517_10159988885416413_4751854610248383092_n.jpg
286457133_10159988885286413_64410883678145282_n.jpg

For her age she shows a few wrinkles,
Cosmetics:
  1. petrol discoloration on the final drive from I assume the notoriously faulty quick releases
  2. Grips worn and heated elements are exposed, likely blown fuse as they dont heat up
  3. Seat clips, they have a mind of their own, remove at own risk...could be there 30 sec, could be 20min. lock frame broken, cracked, loose, pick one
  4. rear indicators have no screws and are sealed with a bead of silicone. Roadside fix would be K@K, replacement immanent

Sadly, those were the easy ones,
Mechanical issues:
  1. front brake line right has bubbled and perished on a weak spot
  2. Rear wheel past allowed play, suspect pivot bearings(confirmed with rear brake test, moves when engaged) - full strip to investigate - As per Alan Lewis PE
  3. lumpy idle, likely due y pipe, imbalanced TB's and old air filter(vrot) - As per Alan Lewis PE
  4. clutch engaging noise on idle when warm(50km+) on sidestand, as above, but add cct update and right side spring stretch - As per Alan Lewis PE
  5. oil leakage at rear pivot seal, yet to investigate if from top or bottom, could be minor, hopefully not FD side - full strip to investigate - As per Alan Lewis PE
  6. Starter will stay engaged after button release and sometimes free spin on press, clean and relube should sort it if im understanding the mechanism correctly
  7. Some blow by on the exhaust resulting in the most glorious backfires(not sure its entirely a bad thing)
  8. Alternator belt replacement due to age - As per Alan Lewis PE

In addition to repairs i would like to add some practical pieces:
Future mods and add ons:
  1. Lockable luggage for longer trips (PE-EL day trip)
  2. Larger screen or deflector, would love something a little more modern looking
  3. hid upgrade for headlights, have a set from my 650cs
  4. protector for throttle position sensor
  5. center stand bash plate
  6. phone mount and power point
  7. install compressor in abs pump location
  8. Seat could use a recovering, it good but wearing thin
so thats about it, i think... will add more as we go along

Last edited: