The Donkey Road - go figure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
In December 2010 we rode from South to North on the so called: Donkey Road or Donkey Track in the
South of Lesotho. This track is famous for being spectacularly beautiful but also very rough. I know of
many teams that has conquered it but nowadays it's not so difficult anymore since the Chinese has built
two huge shiny bridges over the Senque and Senquyane Rivers taking the "bite" out of the road by making
it easy to travel this particular difficult section.

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

In a way they, the Chinese, destroyed the road by making it so accessible. We were lucky to ride most of the
road in "original" condition losing out on the river crossings only because the Chinese road stopped abruptly
right after the second bridge. It was reasonable to think they would continue this highway all the way up to
Semonkong making a Southern connection to this main town. I am then surprised to see the following on
Google Earth.

DonkeyRoad2011.jpg

Go figure. The road, which has been tarred since we were there, still stops abruptly right by the first little village
on the Northern bank of the river. I wonder why? I guess I would be naive to think they will not make the
connection to Semonkong. And because the road is tarred it will not deteriorate like a dirt road so this adventure
will forever be lost.