The Honeymoon Ride: Mauritius on a scooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboef

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
I'm uploading the piccies to the Forum, my Imageshack account is acting up. So it wont be a proper ride report.

Me and missus Kaboef went to Ile de Maurice for our honeymoon. (Mauritius for the layperson.. ;D). We left 10 December, and came back 18 Dec. Neither of us has been there before, and we were quite looking forward to balmy days lying on the beach with Pina Coladas and sunburnt Germans.

Before we left, it was decided that we would, amongst other things, rent scooters and go explore the Island. The island is 65k's long and 45k's wide, surrounded almost entirely by a coral reef. This keeps the waves away from the beaches, meaning the water is clear and you can literaly walk about 1km into the sea and still keep your head above water. Me not being a geologist, and not having paid much attention in the Aardrykskunde classes in school can only tell you that the island was formed by volcanic activity, and then promptly inhabited by people and colonised by the French.

The population is a motley crew of Kreols, Muslims, Asians, and some white people. Languages spoken is firsly Kreol, then French, and some English. But French is the default langauge.

So on the 2nd day after our arrival, after we've has our share of snorkelling amongst the fishes and drinking Pina Colodas on the first day, we decided that Adventure is ripe for the taking. We enquired as to the availability of scooters, and lo! they had some PGO T-Rex 125 babies waiting to be abused.
We rented scooters from the resort at 35Euro a scooter for the day. That worked out to about R700 for two scooters.

We set off at 10 o clock, hugging the eastern coastline south. The village of Mahebourg (right next to our resort) is what a typical Mozambiquan village would look like (I presume, having never actually been to Moz). An assortment of dilapadated building is varied states of decay. It seems that building a house is not a project, but rather a process to the Mauritians - everywhere you look you see new additions to houses, all in various stages of completion without actually being completed before a new room is added.
Very cosmopolitan....

We went from Mahebourg south all along the coast, and then having reached the western coastline at about 12noon, we headed inland into the mountains. Here we encountered some of the most enjoyable twisties I have ever ridden, I would kill to have a decent bike here to do some knee-scraping.

Ok, first some piccies.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    65.1 KB
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    61.9 KB
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    112.6 KB
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    76.3 KB
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    69.8 KB
Some more....

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    72.8 KB
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    78.2 KB
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    76 KB
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    106.9 KB
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    70.8 KB
The lack of proper ATGATT bothered me a bit, as the missus only have limited experience riding a bike. But I reckoned that some roasties to round off my sunburn would be nice.

We slapped on sunscreen every 30minutes, and still my legs was burnt to hell that evening. Funny how you dont feel the burn when you are moving, but once you stop, it comes in waves.

The whole island is covered in sugar cane, with refineries spread out intermittently. The smell of molasses was near the refineries was quite nausiating.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    87.5 KB
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    89.3 KB
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    90.5 KB
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    52.2 KB
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    105.8 KB
As we climbed higher up the mountains, the scenery became more beautiful with every turn. Sugarcane mingled with coconut trees and palms and banana trees to create a lush foreground to the backdrop that is the ocean.
We rode up From Baie du Cap to Chamarel to see the Chamarel Waterfall. Quite spectacular. From there we visited the Terres de Couleur (Coloured Earth), created by volcanic activity.

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    64.4 KB
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    61.4 KB
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    58.7 KB
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    74.9 KB
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    106.6 KB
DIt lyk lekker en tenminste ry hulle aan die REGTE kant van die pad :) ... of was dit net julle  :) :)

We decended the mountaineous region to the western side of the island in the vicinity of Baie de Tamarin, which rewarded us with the most spectacular views of the sea.
From there it was a short blast through more dilapadated urban sprawls to Bambous.
Here, while we were dodging trucks and taxis and masses of puttering smoking bikes, I had the unfortunate experience of a bee that flew into my helmet and stung me on the ear. It burnt like hell, and I tried to get off the road to get my helmet off and the bee out of my ear that was still in there somewhere buzzing his dying buzzes.

I got to a taxi-stop just off the road and frantically untied the piss-pot on my head. The bastard had stung me on the back of my earlobe, and Marli kindly extracted the stinger by scratching at it with my scooter's key.
Feeling much better now that my helmet was mine again without any uninvited visitors in my ear, we set off for Port Louis, the capital of Mauritius. I was apprehensive to go in there at this time of the day (15:00), as I know from experience what third-world cities traffic can be like. But we set off nonetheless, and it was hell.

Masses of truck, cars, taxis, bikes, pedestrians, dogs, cats, wheelchairs and everything that moves fights for survival in the streets of Port Louis. It was mayhem. Traffic rules are nonexistent. Only one rule exists - drive on the left (ish), and take a gap, whether is a gap or not.

We decided to get out of Port Louis and get back to the rural areas. This was a problem in itself in that no-one in Port Louis seem to understand English. I would putter to a halt on my T-Rex 125 next to someone that seems knowledgeable in the art of finding directions, and scream above the din of the traffic: "English??!!!".  Yes, yes, would come the answer, and then as I try to ask how to get out off this hellhole, the coversation would deteriorate into some kind of ridiculous insane charade: Mixed English, French, elaborate gestures, frantic pointing at the map, and then blank stares of incomprehension or big smiles of accomplishment, leaving me none the wiser as to where to go next.
Never again.

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    58.5 KB
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    71.1 KB
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    71 KB
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    74.1 KB
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    43.8 KB
We got home to our resort at about 5pm.
We did about 200k's, give or take.
My bum hurt from the seat. I thought an Africa Twin had the hardest seat ever invented my man. But I was wrong. The hardest seat belongs to a PGO T-Rex 125 scooter.

Some more piccies of the local biking polulation.

Attachments

• DSC05110.JPG
    DSC05110.JPG
    66.2 KB
  • DSC05115.JPG
    DSC05115.JPG
    77.9 KB
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    62 KB
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    78.8 KB
Now, to reward all of you that read this far through this boring report, some piccies of non-biking activities.

;D ;D ;) ;)

Attachments

• 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    78.8 KB
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    77.7 KB
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    29.1 KB
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    79.8 KB
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    64.3 KB
And finally, for the die-hard readers that are still here, some more rewards.

;D ;D

Kaboef out. 8)

Attachments

• 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    55.9 KB
  • 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    60.2 KB
  • 39.JPG
    39.JPG
    57.9 KB
Cool.
I was there on my Honeymoon the 18 Nov.  We did the scooter thing 2.
Where did you stay?

popipants said:
Cool.
I was there on my Honeymoon the 18 Nov.  We did the scooter thing 2.
Where did you stay?

Le Preskil Resort. 15 minutes from the airport.

We were in Flick on Flack, about an hour on the South Western side of the Island. We went into Port Louis for the day, but we only had one scooter mrs Popipants cannot ride :(
It was a great trip.
I have not gotten around to posing some pictures.

popipants said:
We were in Flick on Flack, about an hour on the South Western side of the Island. We went into Port Louis for the day, but we only had one scooter mrs Popipants cannot ride :(
It was a great trip.

So I think its time to start posting!!!

GENERAAL said:
popipants said:
It was a great trip.

So I think its time to start posting!!!

Ha-Ha.
It is a Beemer thing, we pose for all photo's
;D ;D ;D ;D

Lekker man!

Did you visit the Botanical Gardens?

Also Curipipe (Sp)?

The local market in Curipipe is something to experience, if you want to go on a diet, that is.

Oh. And response to your bait you dangled out, your bride sure looks hot! :wink:

Kaboef, mooi man!  Ons het dieselfde, maar met 'n taxi - ook great fun gewees, personal driver for the day and all!

Baie geluk, jy't 'n pragtige Mrs Kaboef - maar het jy haar ID gecheck?  Is sy al 18? ;D

Were those SHARKS?  Were those SHARKS? AAARRRGGGHHHH...........

Congrats Kaboef - looks like you had a fantastic time and the place looks beautiful.  thansk for sharing !