The not-so-handy handyman and other randomness

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
N goeie vakman kan sy foute regmaak sonder dat iemand dit kan sien. Jy is op die regte pad
Of ek moet net so baie strond praat terwyl ek die ding opsit dat niemand kans het om agter te kom daar was ooit n fout nie 🤪

Gelukkig is dit net die gedoente waaraan die kas hang. So dit sal nie gesien word sodra alles aanmekaar is nie. Andersins sou ek nuwes moes maak of net hierdie donkerder verf dalk

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Na aanleiding van jou speedsquare post voorheen het ek hierdie gesien en aan jou thread gedink.

Die Amerikaners het ook al die lekker tools.

lighter

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Na aanleiding van jou speedsquare post voorheen het ek hierdie gesien en aan jou thread gedink.

Die Amerikaners het ook al die lekker tools.

lighter
Dis n mooi stuk toerusting daai, maar heel waarskynlik ook n paar rand

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Those people seriously underestimate my love for 90 degrees angles and their usefulness on various projects.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Currently just sorting out little bits on the TV unit. At least I could organize a trailer big enough to transport this thing.

First, how to mark holes on the wall during installation.
20220512_174510.jpg

Fits nicely in a 6mm hole
20220512_174539.jpg

Peekaboo
20220512_174546.jpg

Some cable management. I have heard about cable sleeves that have pull cords in them for when cable sleeves are placed before building roads (at least in mining industry). So I copied this idea by pulling in a string and tying it to the back of the hoops I put in the plugs.
20220513_060318.jpg

Marked the strings that will be hanging in the closed box of the bottom shelf. Job done.
20220513_060330.jpg

Well, even if it doesn't work, it would just need two guys to unhook the wall unit from its brackets and then one to hold while the other pulls in the cables.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Another nice woodworking channel and a good video on joinery methods. Stumpy nubs also did a good video on joinery methods at some point. So also worth looking out for if you are interested in the topic.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Something that I always wonder about. These "pro" woodworkers always talk about wood swelling/growing with the seasons and causing cracks and such. I have never had such issues with joining things with screws and glue. Then again, I have never worked with hardwoods and only ever used pine. So maybe soft woods like pine is more resistant to seasonal changes.

Also, I almost always finish with varnish or some type of paint rather than applying oil. So that also might play a role.

RobbieJZW

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I think it’s got far more to do with the extreme changes in season - but I may be wrong. I’ve never seen anything “move” at least not in the highveld.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Was a very busy weekend. Guest over Friday afternoon, Saturday morning rugby, Saturday afternoon was spent putting all my tools together, Sunday morning I got the massive car trailer, loaded the wall unit (with help from my wife) and headed for Witbank.

Most of the tools. I added more after this photo was taken.
20220514_123900.jpg

Made very sure it was secure. I didn't want it to move or vibrate.
20220515_101426.jpg

After spending what felt like three hours of marking, checking and rechecking, I drilled the holes and installed the hangers/brackets. I allowed about 8mm of side to side play just in case. And for clearance between the wood strips and the wall brackets, this was around 3mm.
20220515_135931.jpg

I gave very clear instructions on how to lift, hook and lower and even so the client's brother did not listen. Ended up being me, my self and I on the left side and the client, his brother and his dad on the right. Lifted the wall unit a second time. Let the top brackets locate in the frame, lifted until the bottom brackets slid into the bottom. Then slowly let it down and the wall unit hooked into the brackets exactly like I intended. Like lego blocks going into each other. Very, very satisfying moment for me.
20220515_140750.jpg

With the little door closed.
20220515_141013.jpg

Had the two young men install the brackets on the tv and hang it themselves while I packed up
20220515_142000.jpg

I wasn't praised or thanked extensively, but that is also not what I was expecting. When we arrived and unloaded the client said "this is exactly what I wanted" and when everything was done and the TV switched on, he sat down and said "this is perfect." That was enough for me. Afterwards we had a nice braai and headed back home.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Well, have some extensive praise from me. Meticulously planned and executed, well done👍
Thanks. Yes, I think I can honestly say I put a lot of thought into at least the part where it was mounted to the wall. That part alone probably cost me a week of head scratching.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
I wasn't praised or thanked extensively, but that is also not what I was expecting. When we arrived and unloaded the client said "this is exactly what I wanted" and when everything was done and the TV switched on, he sat down and said "this is perfect." That was enough for me. Afterwards we had a nice braai and headed back home.
"Exactly what I wanted" and "this is perfect" is probably the highest praise you can get in my opinion. Short and sweet and genuine. Well done.

RobbieJZW

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I’m very impressed. Jy mag maar. I may have to build something similar for a friend soon and I’m definitely taking notes.