The not-so-handy handyman and other randomness

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
They say there might be a storm on the way yo Gauteng. So in anticipation I cleaned up the yard from all the seed pads (peule in Afrikaans, man) from the thorn tree because my yard usually becomes the lower storm drain and then the holes in my wall block from the pods and dams form. And the wall is already not very sturdy. So I don't take chances. Here is what I picked up that the wind knocked off over the weekend and yesterday. I swear one bag is just what fell off while I was busy cleaning. You can also see all the blommetjies that I do not bother cleaning in the wind.
20220919_175602.jpg

Afterwards I also fetched the ladder to clean the gutter closest to the tree. It was filled with leaves and stuff from the thorn tree and would have blocked it there was enough rain. Then usually what happens is that the gutter overflows right where the window is and then it sounds like a big animal is taking a pee right outside. Also "gardening services" only clean the gutters at the end of the rain season. So then I rather just do it myself.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Here are two blanks that I prepared on Saturday. One is plywood that was soaked in diluted woodglue to try and stabilize it. Should be interesting to see what happens when I start cleaning it. The other is a pallet wood mix. I am not sure what the dark wood is, but it is very dense and hard.

Once I get a chance I will square these up on my table saw and then start to shape them by hand in the vice. Once I have something that feels right in the Isuzu I will probably not make more of these.

20220919_165831.jpg

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Tuesday afternoon I spent some time cleaning my garage trolley and even discovered some things in the dust that I thought I had lost or something. But then it was too clean. So yesterday I cut the blanks I made for more gearknobs/handles square and then started to round them off by hand.

First one squared off and a relative center marked.
20220921_170721.jpg

Second one. I like how this came out, but the reddish wood is waaay harder than the pine.
20220921_171243.jpg

Used a 62mm holesaw to start the rounding.
20220921_171857.jpg

Then a handsaw to cut all the way.
20220921_172539.jpg

Then a rasp to get it roundish
20220921_173001.jpg

Repeat for the plywood.
20220921_173517.jpg

Then put the plywood in a bag with diluted wood glue. When I checked this morning it already absorbed quite a bit of the glue, but it might even just mean it absorbed all of the moisture out of the glue. I will leave it till this afternoon and then let it dry out for a few days afterwards.
20220921_173814.jpg

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
Jy kry 'n tipe epoxy wat mens verdun dat hy baie loperig is. Dit sal beter werk om die hout mee te impregnate siende hy dan ook lekker hard is wanneer jy hom af werk na die tyd.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Ja, die ideaal sou seker wees om n tipe vacuum pot te he en dan die hout sodoende te kry om epoxy of gom of lym op te suig om dit te versterk. Ek dink die plywood sal heel waarskynlik uitmekaar val as ek begin skuur daaraan, maar sal net vir ingeval die boor in sy hoogste rat sit en sien wat hy maak. Laas keer het ek in die tweede hoogste spoed gewerk.

woody1

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Hierdie superglue is BAIE dun en loop in al die krakies. Ouens wat draaibanke het gebruik dit as n stuk los kom by n krakie. Jy kan ook n super shine met dit opbou. Beter en sterker as enige vernis. As ding klaar gevorm is good jy hom van die CA terwyl hy stadig draai. Vat n stuk ongeblykte line en vry hom droog. Sit weer CA op. Herbal. Hy bou n glans laag op. Dis hoe ek my ringe finish

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
I'm back. So the black line you see between the layers of wood, is actually the burn marks from my cheap saw blade. I think it came out OK, but let me take you through the process.

First off, I made this over the weekend and got to test it yesterday. The black wheel is a idler pulley on the aux belt on an Opel engine that was taken out when it became noisy and for a while was fitted to a small exercise bike thing I made for my son in lockdown. Anyway, there is a small wooden bush to change the inside diameter from 16mm to 8mm for the bolt. It is glued to the bearing and the body washer rests on the wood and the bearing. The nut is used to tension the workpiece.
20220917_153635.jpg

Well, that tensioner pulley and bolt worked much better at stabilizing the front of the workpiece than I expected. Even so I still go slowly and only apply slight pressure. This is how it started to take shape.
20220922_163638.jpg

After more fiddling and eventually starting to make a cut for the final length with a hacksaw blade.
20220922_164135.jpg

Let's see what it looks like.
20220922_164319.jpg

Only left enough wood for the bolt to maintain pressure.
20220922_164328.jpg

Checking the size. I made it slightly smaller afterwards because it didn't feel right in my hand.
20220922_164508.jpg

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Felt better being made slightly smaller and at some point I broke the tip off so I could start sanding.

Started sanding with 80 grit and then stopped to check again. There was some tear out of the soft pine that I filled with superglue. Then sanded at 80 grit again until fairly smooth. Then 120, 220, 400 and finally 800 grit. Then I used cloth to get some friction on the knob and that actually almost gave it some shine.

20220922_170240.jpg

20220922_170304.jpg

Feels OK in the hand. You might also see where I filled the pine with superglue in this shot.
20220922_170316.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the nail hole that now sits on the side of this knob. It makes it quite obvious that the knob is made from pallet wood. What say the rest of you about that nail hole? Does it ruin the overall look?
20220922_170247.jpg

After this I put a few light cotes of clear enamel on. Will give it a buff and wax a bit later and see if it improves.

OomD

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Felt better being made slightly smaller and at some point I broke the tip off so I could start sanding.

Started sanding with 80 grit and then stopped to check again. There was some tear out of the soft pine that I filled with superglue. Then sanded at 80 grit again until fairly smooth. Then 120, 220, 400 and finally 800 grit. Then I used cloth to get some friction on the knob and that actually almost gave it some shine.

View attachment 794494

View attachment 794496

Feels OK in the hand. You might also see where I filled the pine with superglue in this shot.
View attachment 794497

Not sure how I feel about the nail hole that now sits on the side of this knob. It makes it quite obvious that the knob is made from pallet wood. What say the rest of you about that nail hole? Does it ruin the overall look?
View attachment 794495

After this I put a few light cotes of clear enamel on. Will give it a buff and wax a bit later and see if it improves.

It's good you have some pictures to go with these kind of descriptions...

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
More knob polishing and hot sauce to come, but first some cleaning.

Saturday morning I we were released from my son's school activity. So the best, most productive way to use the free time... was to sleep late. I then got up and slowly but surely the caffeine started working. First thing on my mind was to clean the bathroom because the doctor said that my children are allergic to mold and that was the only place in the house with visible mold. I still don't really understand it, but it felt like the mold miraculously appeared one day in the winter even though the window is always open and there is no door (bathroom is in the main bedroom).

I am not going to show the actual moldy ceiling, because I am shy, but I can tell you that it is clean now after washing everything off with a sponge and some mold and mildew cleaner. Yes, I didn't want to listen to advice and spent R50 on this bottle of cleaner which is basically Jik.
IMG-20220924-WA0013.jpeg

Last time I used this in the shower and it made my eyes tear up and also made me cough. The fumes are that bad. So this time I put a fan in the window, pointing outwards, to extract the bulk of the fumes and also not stink up the house.
IMG-20220924-WA0011.jpeg

Put on my overall jacket and the oldest, most torn and stained shorts I have and then also a face shield to protect my eyes and a buff for good measure. Mostly the buff would just stop fine droplets and to keep fumes out I would suggest an actual facemask with filters.
IMG-20220924-WA0009.jpeg

After cleaning the first bathroom from ceiling to floor. I cleaned most of the second bathroom, then the extraction fan hood in the kitchen, then the light fittings in the kitchen, living room and dining room (mostly open plan area). And by the end of all this, it was around 14:00 and past afternoon bed time for my youngest.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
With my mini mini asleep and the wife and eldest offspring off elsewhere, I had lunch and watched some TV. After lunch I figured I can either take a nap as reward for all the tough cleaning and scrubbing, or I can go do something in the garage for an hour or so. So I got a bottle of water and off to the garage.

I immediately got the piece of plywood that I had soaked in glue previously and let dry overnight. I drilled out the 6m hole from the holesaw and then put in the furniture screw and marked out a center on the other side. Then placed in the drillpress and tightened the bolt.

After a short while to check how the rasp was doing. Note that there is a flat spot to the right as well as the black bit to the left. So at this point the blank is still not round.
20220924_151009.jpg

Got it round and then started on the taper. The rasp would grab out chunks of plywood where the layers on the "flat" side became thin, but I just kept at it to see where it would go.
20220924_151916.jpg

Previously I used a file to do some smoothing after the rasp, but this did not work on the ply. So I went straight for some 80 grit and just kept on sanding.
20220924_152153.jpg

Cut into the tip and started rounding off. Then removed from the drill to complete the cut.
20220924_152513.jpg

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
From this point onwards most of the work was just sanding paper. Lots and lots of sanding. Eventually sanded up to 220 grit and the knob came out looking like this. I just love the lines in the wood and the different colours.

20220924_152951.jpg
20220924_152956.jpg
20220924_153001.jpg

Not really knowing what I am doing, I applied some superglue to the whole thing and sprayed with activator. Then fine sanding up to 800 or so. I can't remember, because I used a random piece of sand paper on my work trolley.
20220924_153744.jpg
20220924_153747.jpg
20220924_153752.jpg
20220924_153759.jpg