The not-so-handy handyman and other randomness

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Sunday morning after church the wife sent me to a local market to buy fruits and vegetables. I cant say that they are heaps cheaper than the normal Spar or Checkers, but they are a lot fresher. Anyway, while there I saw some beautiful red jalapenos. Or at least what I assume to be red jalapenos. So got enough for a fresh batch of chilies because I just finished my last bottle in the week.

Started with onions

20220925_171437.jpg

Chopped the chilis with a knife and then did three batches in the food processor. Fist one was rough, second was mostly fine and the third batch was nearly liquid.
20220925_173018.jpg

Put on the stove and added some sugar, salt and vinegar. Then when the onions were nearly cooked, I added a small container of chopped garlic and adjusted the salt and sugar by tasting some more. Bottled and let stand.
20220925_181853.jpg

The photos don't show the colour, but it is like a postbox type red. Very pretty and the taste is fairly mild. At least for me. I even gave my wife a spoon full to taste and she didn't die or go blind. So it should be safe for consumption for the average human as well.

LouisXander

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Jis ou Willie, nou verlang ek sommer na n 1400 Nissan Bakkie as ek daai ratkieries so kyk!!!!

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Jis ou Willie, nou verlang ek sommer na n 1400 Nissan Bakkie as ek daai ratkieries so kyk!!!!
Ek het een gedhad 2012 tot 2013. Swakste ryding wat ek ooit besit het en basies waar ek alles geleer het van karre wat ek vandag weet. Ek wil nie weer een he nie en verlang hom glad nie.

Maar dit hout knoppe sal in jou Isuzu ook pas.

LouisXander

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
🤣😂😅 Ekt nooit een gehad nie, maar my oorle Pa het het hulle gelike. My naaste aan een was n Datsun 1200GX, daai knop so ook gewerk het daar!!

ps: Dink my donkie se knop is binne in gethread nou dat jy praat....

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
🤣😂😅 Ekt nooit een gehad nie, maar my oorle Pa het het hulle gelike. My naaste aan een was n Datsun 1200GX, daai knop so ook gewerk het daar!!

ps: Dink my donkie se knop is binne in gethread nou dat jy praat....
Jou bakkie hoort soortgelyk aan myne te wees. So heel waarskynlik ook M10x1mm draad op die lever self.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
I need to start saving for a wood lathe and space to put it, but in the mean time there are more important things.

Yesterday when I got home, I was not in the best space mentally. I walked around the house like a lost child and then went to the garage. I picked up a piece of firewood that I saved for experimenting and then one thing led to another.

Cut and marked a center
20220926_164848.jpg

Holesaw to get the outside mostly round. This wood is very hard.
20220926_165345.jpg

I want to try and make this knob for an older Opel. A 90's Kadett to be precise. People that know these cars, will know that the revers has a little thing under the knob that needs to be pulled up into the knob to engage reverse. As far as I could tell from the interweb, this recess is 32mm in diameter, but not sure how deep.

I only have a 35mm holesaw, so I drilled a 35 hole in the underside of the knob and then another smaller size that I cant remember now. These were left in place until the knob is complete. I will remove them at the end and then we can see of this thing actually fits.

This was after a while of filing and sanding.
20220926_175404.jpg

Underside with "rings" for the recess.
20220926_175409.jpg

Used superglue to fill the cracks. Then some more sanding and then I put some clear coat on just to see where we stand. This will be sanded again to get rid of any more flaws, then painted, then sanded and then maybe cut shorter and finally painted and polished.
20220926_185127.jpg
20220926_185133.jpg

Attachments

• 20220926_185142.jpg
    20220926_185142.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 0

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
I realized with a shock that I need to service my bakkie quite soon, but time will be limited over the weekend. So I am going to do this in bits so that I can still be sure that I do everything well and not try and rush the whole job all at once. No one ever said that you definitely need to do the entire service in one day.

I used to stick to the 15k km intervals as specified by the manufacturer, but at some point I switched over to 10k km intervals. I think it was during covid times. Anyway, with the switch and poor documentation, I forgot when last I changed the gear oil. Which might not be a good thing. So that is where I started this service in case I need to suddenly go to site for work.

So when I arrived home after work, I put on my overall and got out the service ramp. The wife was away so I pulled the bakkie in where the Jazz is usually parked so that I could have the gearbox filler to the inside/middle of the garage. The floor was too slippery for the service ramp and the bakkie just kept pushing the ramp away. I got around this issue by putting a wet rag under the ramp. The wet rag was enough to keep the ramp in place while the bakkie climbed the first step and after that the weight of the bakkie kept the ramp in place. Chock behind the rear wheel and we were ready for action.

A reminder of what my service ramp looks like

I had my two appies with my while I changed the oil. My eldest, 7, was full of suggestions and just wanted to help and feel and test. So I entertained the enthusiasm by putting everything ready, but about 300mm out of reach so that I could ask him to hand it to me. He was so eager though, that he often dived in under the bakkie next to me and bashed me on the head with the next bottle of oil before I even asked. It was still nice to have him there.

The youngest got a ratchet and extension from another toolset, got in under the bakkie, on his back, and poked the extension of the ratchet into an opening in the chassis frame and then proceeded to loosen various imaginary bolts and nuts. Oh well, at least that mostly kept him out of trouble. At least until he found some water hose in my box of spares and went on his own mission.

Anyway. I am glad I changed the gearbox oil. It was not a pretty red anymore and have turned dark maroon.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Awesome that your sons can grow up with that. I did not have that honour. Well done
My wife and I spoke about that last night. With her father she was too scared that something would happen like the car falling on him while he is underneath. Knowing her father, there was a strong possibility of that happening. With my father there was a strong possibility of learning new swear words. So we also did not have the same opportunities.

It is still early days and the boys are not always interested in what I am doing in the garage. Yesterday was the first in a long time, but if I am patient and remain calm, it might just lead to great things one day. Or they might even decide to work harder so they don't end up as poor as their old man that now needs to do things like this to save money (I also have trust issues).

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
🤣🤣 dit was n slim man!

Ek moet sê, ek is jaloers op jou en jou seuns! Ek self het 2 linker hande, so al wat hul leer van werk is tuinwerk, boer en as hul by oupa kuier!

Moet hulle nie druk nie, die belangstelling sal vansself kom, die ouer mannetjie gaan al hoe meer begin doen wat jy doen👍🏻

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Na aanlang wat jy se @Sandban(g)k , Ek dink nou weer mens moet jou seuns bietjie aan help in die rigting wat jy as Pa van Hou. Hulle sal self as hulle vir hulself begin dink dit byhou of van rigting verander.

My 2c.
EK was / is sportbefok

My laaitie het langs die krieketveld groot geword en op 5 begin golf speel. Hy is ligjare beter as ek en dis so lekker dat ek sy sport op skool saam hom kon geniet oor ek passie gehad het.
Hy het Indie getoer met SA Bokkie span krieket en speel op lae voorgee golf.

Maar dis waar. Moenie hulle druk nie. Dit kom vanself

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Na aanlang wat jy se @Sandban(g)k , Ek dink nou weer mens moet jou seuns bietjie aan help in die rigting wat jy as Pa van Hou. Hulle sal self as hulle vir hulself begin dink dit byhou of van rigting verander.

My 2c.
Dis waar, maar hulle sal ook sien hoe baie die pa sy houtwerk geniet, en sal noodgedwonge nuuskierig raak en blootgestel word.

Dis van bietjie aan help dat ek nie ek of my broer sal duiwe vlieg nie ;)

LouisXander

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
EK was / is sportbefok

My laaitie het langs die krieketveld groot geword en op 5 begin golf speel. Hy is ligjare beter as ek en dis so lekker dat ek sy sport op skool saam hom kon geniet oor ek passie gehad het.
Hy het Indie getoer met SA Bokkie span krieket en speel op lae voorgee golf.

Maar dis waar. Moenie hulle druk nie. Dit kom vanself
Ek stem nie saam met jou nie Kameraman!!!

As jy nie dit begin het nie, het hy dit nie geeindig waar hy is nie.

Ek se altyd. Hierdie wat die jonges van vandag SE ek sal nie my kind grootmaak soos my pa my groot gemaak het nie is onheil!!!

Dis agv daardie grootmaak dat hulle die suksesvolle jongmense van vandag is!!!

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Got home too late yesterday to do another part of the service on my bakkie AND braai. So I instead mowed the lawn and cleaned the dust out of my home PC. Something I maybe do once or twice a year depending on the noise the fan makes. Most of the time I would also clean and replace the thermal paste on the CPU (is that the correct term?) heatsink.

Back to my bakkie. I wanted to show the "device" I used to fill the gearbox with oil. Previously I used one of those pressurized pump type spray can jobbies, but after putting diff oil in it I am afraid about contamination of the gearbox oil (gearboxes typically don't like GL5 oils). It is also not very effective in any case.

My plan was so simple and effective that I think I should start selling these 🤪 . Front part of a plastic bottle for a funnel, 22 or 25mm rubber water hose as a spacer, then clear plastic pipe. All cleaned and held together with insulation tape.
20220928_164349.jpg

OK, but that still does not lift the oil, you say. No it doesn't. Thanks for pointing that out, hey.

The clear tube goes into the gearbox filler. The funnel is then lowered which then effectively kinks the clear pipe and closes it off. Then while on my back under the bakkie, I fill the funnel with gear oil as much as possible. Then I put down the oil bottle and raise the funnel into the space under where the actual gear lever sits which then unkinks the clear pipe and allows the oil to flow into the gearbox. Repeat until oil flows out from the filler hole. Remember to keep the drain pan close by or put down some newspaper to catch the spill.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Yesterday was engine oil day. Got home earlier and then started prepping the garage and bakkie for the service. But I must say, 30 minutes was not enough cooling time before draining the oil. You can imagine how long a massive block of metal with nearly 9 liters of oil and 10 liters of water can maintain its heat. Even if it was a relaxed drive home.

Anyway, had the assistance of my two appies again (because they had nothing better to do), but when they saw the face I pulled when the oil from the oil filter burned my hand and arm, they basically left me all by myself for the cleanup and filling with fresh oil.

This photo was taken just before going back underneath to change the oil filter (to the left of the engine as seen in this photo).
20220929_162208.jpg

I don't have any more strong degreaser, but pine gel seems to also work quite nice in cleaning off oil spills. Used the pine gel to clean the underside of the engine as well as the bits of suspension that gets soaked with oil when removing the oil filter. Then also cleaned the back engine cover and put everything back together before getting the bakkie off the ramp and mopping the floor.

LouisXander

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Jis ou Willie, I changed mine's oil in a rush the other day. What a calamity. I need a bigger bak, those green oil pans don't work.....