The not-so-handy handyman and other randomness

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Jis ou Willie, I changed mine's oil in a rush the other day. What a calamity. I need a bigger bak, those green oil pans don't work.....
Ek staan ander dag in Midas met een van daai "sumpy" goed in my hand omdat ek my vorige een n gat in moes sny om die sump prop uit hom uit te kry. Toe sien ek daai sumpy kan net 6 liter olie hou volgens sy etiket. Al lyk dit soos n groot ding. Ook maar goed ek kyk, want ek dink mens dreineer baie na aan 8 liter olie uit die enijn in my Suzie en joune hoort soortgelyk te wees.

Daarom wat jy in my foto kan sien dat ek nou maar net n groot plastiekbak gebruik. Hy hou ook maar net-net genoeg en as ek klaar is gooi ek die olie in die ou kanne, vee hom uit so skoon moontlik, was met degreaser, en brand die lappe en koerant.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Ek staan ander dag in Midas met een van daai "sumpy" goed in my hand omdat ek my vorige een n gat in moes sny om die sump prop uit hom uit te kry. Toe sien ek daai sumpy kan net 6 liter olie hou volgens sy etiket. Al lyk dit soos n groot ding. Ook maar goed ek kyk, want ek dink mens dreineer baie na aan 8 liter olie uit die enijn in my Suzie en joune hoort soortgelyk te wees.

Daarom wat jy in my foto kan sien dat ek nou maar net n groot plastiekbak gebruik. Hy hou ook maar net-net genoeg en as ek klaar is gooi ek die olie in die ou kanne, vee hom uit so skoon moontlik, was met degreaser, en brand die lappe en koerant.
Frontline Midas, daar oorkant Bosvelder, het grooootes, laas toe ek gesoek het. Vir baie naby aan helfte die prys as die gewone Midas...

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Frontline Midas, daar oorkant Bosvelder, het grooootes, laas toe ek gesoek het. Vir baie naby aan helfte die prys as die gewone Midas...
Dankie. Ek het juis daar na hulle opsies ook gekyk en besluit om eerder R500 se bier te koop as n plastiek kan met drie proppe.

Terloops, Frontline is gewoonlik my eerste stop. Ek verkies hulle bo van die ander takke.

LouisXander

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Ja nee kyk, ekt my Les geleer.

Degreaser en skrop ook.....

Gelukkig het ek n seiltjie gegooi maar dit was steeds n gemors van n Ander wereld!

Groot Emmer hier kom ek.....

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Ja nee kyk, ekt my Les geleer.

Degreaser en skrop ook.....

Gelukkig het ek n seiltjie gegooi maar dit was steeds n gemors van n Ander wereld!

Groot Emmer hier kom ek.....
Plekke soos Midas en Westpack het nogal so groot oliepan wat n plekkie het waar jy die oliefilter ook kan neersit om leeg te loop. As jy dan nou iets moet koop...

Maar ja, ek het ook al so gemors reggekry met die olie en dan smaak dit n man kan huil

Grahamrob

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I lay one of those plastic drop sheets down in the garage and then park the car ontop of it when I do an oil change. Saves my garage floors from any oil spills/drips during the oil change process.

Phillip Flap

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
@Namakwalander
I will do a deal with you, you try & knock the price down with seller & I will sponsor you, also will check at my Factory if I have a motor. Pay back will be to the same value of any of your wood creation or something I would like to be created.
@Oshkosh , gister toe ek die post lees, was dit my gedagte dat die man gesponsor sal word met die masjien, want hy wys dat hy vorentoe gaan...Baie dankie, ons sal die vrugte van jou mooi daad hier sien.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
After a very tiring weekend and site visit yesterday, I am back in the office today, but still half asleep.

I also sent messages to Oshkosh and Woody for those who are wondering.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Friday was a quiet day and early to bed. The entire Saturday was spent at children's parties and then passing out on the couch fairly early after arriving home (no I did not have anything to drink). Sunday morning I cleaned the inside of my bakkie for the site visit yesterday (I had to take someone with) and then I changed the diesel filter as well.

So I started with my handy ramp so that my six pack can slide in under the bakkie.
20221002_104803.jpg

When I went to buy the service parts, I had a look inside the box for the diesel filter and found out that it was dropped at some point and a piece broke off. I never check these things and luckily it would still have worked, but the principle was that I was paying for a whole part and so asked for a whole part to be sold to me.
20221002_110026.jpg

The other day I noticed that the rubber boot on the other ball joint (I replaced one not too long ago) was also torn. I thought I would risk it and try to replace it. On a Sunday... I hammered on the ball joint for a while with a jack keeping pressure on it, hoping it would just pop out. It didn't. And even though I had the garage doors closed, the noise was obviously not nice. So as soon as I got a message from the next door neighbor, I immediately stopped. Packed up, took a shower and called it a day and then filled the bakkie for the 480km round trip for yesterday.
20221002_113417.jpg

So I am still driving with the torn ball joint boot, but my reasoning is that as long as it does not make noise it should be OK. Also as long as grease is being pushed out, dirt cant get in. So I have some time still, but should make a plan to replace it in the week some time.

DasBoxer

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Got myself a geyser drip tray that I place underneath the car when I do an oil change. I then fill the drip tray with a layer of wood shavings that I got from a wooden window frame maker and place my sumpy on top of that. If there are any oil spills (there always are), the wood shavings soak up the oil, no problem.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Got myself a geyser drip tray that I place underneath the car when I do an oil change. I then fill the drip tray with a layer of wood shavings that I got from a wooden window frame maker and place my sumpy on top of that. If there are any oil spills (there always are), the wood shavings soak up the oil, no problem.
I like that. I actually forget that I almost always have lots of sawdust that would be nice to absorb oil spills.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Yesterday I get the call from the wife that no man wants to get... "the car is broken"

So I go through my list of possible issues and ask questions up to the point of becoming an annoyance. Nope. Still not working and no obvious issue. All I get is that the car refuses to start and it is not even making a clicking sound or even trying to swing the engine. So we arrange someone to go help and I pack up and leave the office to go do damage control.

On the way the wife phones to let me know that after she walked to the nearest store for a bottle of water, she came back and the car started. I phone a friend and get some more things to check, but already expecting the worst. When I get home the wife is there and I try to start the car hoping it would do the same. Nope. The bastard just starts as if nothing is wrong.

I go inside to get my wallet to go to my mechanic and only then does my wife spill the beans. So both times this happened, my wife let the car stand with the ignition on. That means that the radiator fan would also come on and the interior fan would also run. Now the Jazz only has a 35Ah battery which I suspect might even fit in a 1200GS BMW (yes, the bike). So I went back to the car and switched the ignition on and then back inside to try and leave it for 10 minutes to do its thing. When I went back to start it, it took maybe an extra rotation to start. Not much, but noticeable.

So I took the car to the mechanic in any case, so that he can check other things as well if there are issues, but after hearing my sob story, he started with a battery test.

20221007_095432.jpg

So the starting voltage seems ok. If it falls below 10V it would be considered to be a bad battery. But also remember that I drove 15km to the mechanic and the battery had time to charge. Then looking at the cold cranking amps, you can see it is nearly half of what the battery is rated at. So basically the battery is fine as long as it is charged and the car does not need a lot of power to start, but if it is even slightly drained, it does not have enough power to swing the engine. So I had to get a replacement and will have a talk with the wife to prolong battery life. But still hoping that it was indeed the battery that was causing the issue.