The ultimate KLR bling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groenie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Is there something like that? You bet!

On Sunday, I helped D7 install his Vapor dash. For about R1000 you can bring your KLR into the 21st century.

How do you do it? Very easy actually. First, get the bike into the garage.

sm_1033.jpg

Then, remove tank and fairing

sm_1034.jpg

sm_1037.jpg

Remove instruments and disconnect the electrics of the old instrument cluster. This one here

sm_1039.jpg

The plug can just be put back. Will be used later to provide high beam, flicker and neutral lights.

sm_1040.jpg

Make a template for the mounting plate

sm_1046.jpg

Cut from ally and give it a coat of Hammerite.

sm_1041.jpg

sm_1047.jpg

We also cut a piece of thick tube to take care of the vibes

sm_1048.jpg

Then you remove one of the brake disc bolts and replace it with the supplied magnetic bolt

sm_1042.jpg

Next, fit the speedo pick-up. The unit s designed for a KX, so it's quite dfficult to find a proper place for the pick-up. We decided to zip tie it to the fork.

sm_1044.jpg

Plug it in and spin the front wheel to test.

Next, remove the water hose between the head and radiator and install the temp probe.

sm_1051.jpg

The RPM sensor is just a piece of wire, coiled around the spark lead and held in place with heat-shrink tube. You can also see the temp probe in place.

sm_1053.jpg

Connect the power leads to the "city lights" plugs behind the fairing. We didn't, so now the unit stays lit for 20 minutes after you switch the bike off. It will be changed when I install my own unit.

And there you have it

sm_1055.jpg

sm_1056.jpg

sm_1057.jpg

Time to remove the plastic from the screen

sm_1058.jpg

The final step is to calibrate the unit. For this you need to know the circumference of you front wheel. Very easy, just make and mark on the floor and the wheel, push the bike forward until the mark points down again and measure the distance.

sm_1059.jpg

Enter that into the unit, and viola, you now have the absolute coolest piece of bling.

Next will be to install LED lights for the neutral, high beam and flickers.

Latest posts