Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

IceCreamMan

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F850GS
Tom van Brits said:
IceCreamMan said:
Entered the Brighton marathon on a whim. It’s next weekend. Training been crap an jeep getting niggles so gonna a painful day.

First standalone marathon in 5 years and first marathon in more than 3 years.

Gonna hurt but strangely looking forward to it.

You will enjoy it!!
I used to be like this too; 'strangely looking fw :lol8: but it is a great feeling

There may come a day when you can't run anymore and you will feel the pain of wanting but can't  :'(
Since my back and right hip became a problem I desperately tried to make a comeback a couple of times but I could and can't tolerate the pain.
It is one of the hardest things in life to come to terms with when you got to turn and walk away from something, a lifestyle that you have loved.

In a strange way I find yr post incredibly motivating.

Thank you.

IceCreamMan

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F850GS
just an update on my Brighton marathon.

I been working hard all summer, shed some weight, feeling like a rockstar...a PB was on the cards.

Well organised...i was in the chute for my allotted start time and off we went. First km is relatively uphill so took it easy just to get into a nice rhythm and went well. Second kilometre downhill and just maintained pace really , waiting for the runners to thin out a bit ..lovely sunny day, onlookers were superb in their support...ran past coffee shops teeming with punters sitting outside supporting runners whilst having their breakfast and in some cases a beer or 2 as well. Kinda made one lus a bit but i digress.

As we do we set up times where we would like to be. I was aiming for around 31 minutes for 5 km's and made 5 kays in around 30:45 with an HR firmly in lower Z3 so life was good. Breathing was spot on, life was good.

kilometre 6 passed by uneventfully but then disaster struck. An old niggle flared up out of nowhere. Calf muscle started getting very sore....i thought possibly due to camber in the road so ran on the other side but it just deteriorated. Kilometer 8 was on the road above the finish on Madeira drive but thought i would soldier on, it was a lovely day and i could walk under 9 minutes a kilometer so carried on adjusting targets and realising i was in for a 6 hour walk. But on a lovely sunny day with nice crowds no worries. Maintained that sort of sub 9 minute kilometres up to around 14 kays then it just fell apart... fortunately its a loop on the eastern side of brighton and 19 kays in is back close to the finish line and i got there around 2:45 in. There was just no way i was going to finish so baled. My only ever DNF in running.

Calf muscle still damn sore, its either a strain or sprain. No bruising etc so just a matter of time. Problem is i have a half ironman this sunday which i now dont think i will make. Very expesive DNS that will be. Will see...if i can cycle ok i will start the swim and take it from there and walk the run. I dont mind making it worse as its the last event i have this year. But i must be able to walk ok which i cant do now.

Using lots of ice etc. we wait n see.

Was really gutted to bale. Been working hard all summer.

But , as the Brighton marathon event shirt reads...come back stronger than the setback. I have already entered Brighton marathon 2022 with my wife. We going to have a jol out on the road.

Sardine

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
[member=414]IceCreamMan[/member] ah no, what a bugger! I'm sorry to hear about your DNF.

Do you take magnesium supplements?
My calves and ankles cramp up badly if I don't.

Hope you feel better and can at least start the half Ironman!

IceCreamMan

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F850GS
Sardine said:
[member=414]IceCreamMan[/member] ah no, what a bugger! I'm sorry to hear about your DNF.

Do you take magnesium supplements?
My calves and ankles cramp up badly if I don't.

Hope you feel better and can at least start the half Ironman!

No supplements. I think i over did it in training as is my bent.

Sadly looks like i wont be able to make the start however i have always wanted to watch the pros in an IM event so here is my opportunity i spose. my turn to sit in the pub and watch the athletes.  :lol8:

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Anyone doing Cape Town Marathon next weekend?

Im going, still have to organise accommodation, was thinking maybe as close to the stadium as possible?

Sardine

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Sandban(g)k said:
Anyone doing Cape Town Marathon next weekend?

Im going, still have to organise accommodation, was thinking maybe as close to the stadium as possible?

I am doing the 10km virtual run.

Your other option is to park in Main Road Green Point (or whatever the M61 is), near the park, and walk to the start from there.

Enjoy it! 🥳

IceCreamMan

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F850GS
No supplements. I think i over did it in training as is my bent.

Sadly looks like i wont be able to make the start however i have always wanted to watch the pros in an IM event so here is my opportunity i spose. my turn to sit in the pub and watch the athletes. :lol8:
Just thought I would update this thread.

Calf muscle was a tear of sorts. Took about 4 months off and just as I was resuming light training I had covid a second time. So all in all my running was halted for about 4 months or so.

But here’s the silver lining. Ran A PB in the half marathon in April bing about 5 minutes faster than before. And ran a PB in the marathon by almost 20 minutes later in April. Both astounding results for a 56 year old lard ass.

to top it off I reduced my pb at an Olympic tri by 15 minutes in july.

its been a wonderous season since my forced time out. I can only beleive it was my forced timeout that gave me the legs.

LoopSoosStroop

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
But here’s the silver lining. Ran A PB in the half marathon in April bing about 5 minutes faster than before. And ran a PB in the marathon by almost 20 minutes later in April. Both astounding results for a 56 year old lard ass.

Congrats man, lekker. Post some times for purposes of inspiration?

Bliknêrs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
I am currently sidelined with a calf, it happened right after I entered for the Foot of Africa. Got all excited and ramped up my training. So I passed on my entry to a promising youngster.
I hope my net result will be the same as yours ICM but time marches on and I am already in the coffin dodger league.

grim101

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Was training for a 21km race next month, was going great, then I got the flu.

Flu was worse than the covid I had, and recovering even worse.

Have to start training all over again

Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Pok guys and girls, from the highest high I have ever experienced back to the fat old me after my back and hip started acting up and a prolonged episode(s) of ptsd.

I am working physically very hard and my resting heart rate in the lower 60’s confirm a fair degree of fitness yet not running fitness.

I want to fight back but the old injuries and to some degree the head does not allow me…yet

Waiting for harvest season to end and I’m gonna give it my best. Can’t and will never forget that feeling when I knew there was only 5 or so km left of a 21 and I keep picking up the pace. My last 5km was always on a good run the fastest, I remember bettering my best 5km parkrun back then of about 24 min if I recall correctly. Just amazing when you know it’s gonna be a sub 2hour and you try to make it your best.

That after the surgeon told me back in 2003 that I will never be able to walk without a crutch after a compound fracture of my tibia and fibula.

Good luck to all of you trying or still are just amazing runners.
You awesome!

Post pictures and keep this thread alive

PS: I got new runners, can’t wait to try them out!ACEAC20B-C87D-462C-A6F0-993DC1C08E5B.jpeg

IceCreamMan

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F850GS
Pok guys and girls, from the highest high I have ever experienced back to the fat old me after my back and hip started acting up and a prolonged episode(s) of ptsd.

I am working physically very hard and my resting heart rate in the lower 60’s confirm a fair degree of fitness yet not running fitness.

I want to fight back but the old injuries and to some degree the head does not allow me…yet

Waiting for harvest season to end and I’m gonna give it my best. Can’t and will never forget that feeling when I knew there was only 5 or so km left of a 21 and I keep picking up the pace. My last 5km was always on a good run the fastest, I remember bettering my best 5km parkrun back then of about 24 min if I recall correctly. Just amazing when you know it’s gonna be a sub 2hour and you try to make it your best.

That after the surgeon told me back in 2003 that I will never be able to walk without a crutch after a compound fracture of my tibia and fibula.

Good luck to all of you trying or still are just amazing runners.
You awesome!

Post pictures and keep this thread alive

PS: I got new runners, can’t wait to try them out!View attachment 794468
Good luck sir. Look at swimming or cycling as well. Even walking. Excess weight is the runners foe.

I have for the first time ever started doing hill repeats. I don’t do many cos I can’t yet and they completely destroy me but by some masochist quirk I love it. I thoroughly enjoy the work out and it seems the only way to get my heart rate up. Currently running with HR sub 130 even when pushing it an resting HR around 42.

When hil training only goes to about 150 so room for more. I am 57.

Blikkies1

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hit a milestone this evening, started out with a 32m38s 5km a year or so ago, down to 27:07, my goal is a consistent 25min by December, gains aren’t linear it seems, so really gonna have to push in order to make up the 2min deficit.

Attachments

• B1978190-78E4-4AC7-8714-7F779650554B.jpeg
    B1978190-78E4-4AC7-8714-7F779650554B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0