There is light at the end of the tunnel...

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Based on my system experience I think you can expect about 650-750kWh per month from your system in Pta.
Adding more panels will theoretically give you more but the system will not give you more if you don't use it:
You say you use about 800kWh per month. Your night time usage sounds high so if you go over to grid power at night and say use 100kWh per month grid power then the balance is 900-100 = 700kWh and your system will only produce that in a month.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
PS
Your batteries if used to 90% DOD gives about 9.2kWh per day or 276kWh per month.
With the efergy you can probably see what your night time usage is. (From about 5pm to 7am in summer in Pretoria)
If you use more than the 276kWh I would add a battery first. Less then look into solar panels.

blackhole

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Man should have done this years ago....
My house during load shedding

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0

Jacobsroodt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
This is a brilliant thread! Thanks☺

In researching batteries it seems like Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are better than Lithium Ion as they last longer and are friendlier to the environment. Tesla started to use them:

Which is better LiFePO4 vs lithium ion battery?

The LiFePO4 battery has the edge over lithium ion, both in terms of cycle life (it lasts 4-5x longer), and safety. This is a key advantage because lithium ion batteries can overheat and even catch fire, while LiFePO4 does not.

Grunder

Auburn Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Sorry, very off topic. I love the title of this thread. Whenever I see it I smile...

A man with the name 'Blackhole' says there is light at the end of the tunnel 😁

Anyway, back to business

Latest posts