TIMING CHAIN NOISE ON START UP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSMITH

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
hi all,

noticed that when starting the bike there is a rattle , that goes away when i can only assume is that the oil pressure is up againts the timing chain tensioner.

is there a way to either  shim the tensioner, make the spring ( if it has one) stronger ect, to stop the rattle on start up?

i have a 2005 K1200s and it also had a noise on start up , fished around on the WWW. and came across a campaign by BMW canada where by they fit a hydraulic tensioner that has a one way valve in it to maintain the chain tensioner correctly using oil pressure and keep the chain tensioned when the bike stands. ( this was actually a recall but  not for BMW Motorrhad SA???? )
i got the part number and bought and fitted it and all is well in K timing chain land! this was last year and I have driven the CRAP out of this bike on over 20,000km since fitting so it works.

I have see on You tube a modified tensioner for the 1150, but is there anything out there for the 1200 boxer?

thanks