To: KTM Rallye Raid 2008 From: CT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi

As I rode to Hogsback last year and had an absolute gas, if the stars align, my neck is 100% and the War Department allocates a multi day exit visa I will be doing it again.

It is going to be a very long day mostly on gravel - 807 k's as measured on this route and that doesn't take into account getting lost and all the corners so it will be closer to 1000k's.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=118374918996877371476.00043d60e8db6c27b8edd&ll=-33.431441,24.093018&spn=6.462263,11.447754&z=7

I wrote about getting there in a ride report that explains the ride a bit and should give you an idea of what you need to do;

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=11918.0

I am thinking of starting at the camp mentioned in the RR in Swellendam again but I am also considering starting a little further down the track. I will follow the exact same route, fill up in Hogsback for the last time and on to the Raid venue.

If you are not riding fit and comfortable with riding at a quick pace on all types of gravel then you are going to struggle. I left at 4.30am and only just made Hogsback at 8pm. That time was with about 3 hours of getting lost and having to backtrack. If you aren't capable of keeping a decent pace then you will have to abandon the route and get onto the tar to make the venue by sundown.

I will be on a 950 and from experience I can tell you that a fresh TKC Front will last the whole trip but the rear will be half worn by the time you get there so a new rear will be needed on day three if you do the tougher routes. If I go I am going to try get the organisers to arrange to have one there for me to change to. A new scorpion would last the whole trip I think but you may regret not having knobblies on the Raid routes.

I will be returning on the freeway.

Anyone keen?

Latest posts