Tools to Sharpen your Toys

Peter Vee

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Good move.. official video below... makes for handy guide.

I generally sharpen all my knives around 20degrees... covering edge with permanent marker / sharpie will show up angle match as you start removing metal... I've found that starting with 320 or 400grit and ending on 600/800 before ceramic honing works me.. 220 is a tad aggressive.

mox

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
just bought my first WorkSharp kit. Will get the upgrade kit next month

now to learn how to use it

What else do I need?
How do I decide what angle I want for my knife?
Congrats.

20 - 22 degrees are a good angle range for EDC carrying. 15 degrees depending on steel, grind and thickness will be super slicey but could loose its edge rather quick and can be prone to chipping and rolling. Above 22 degrees your edge will be strong and will be more resistant to chipping and rolling, again dependent on steel, grind and thickness.

20 to 22 is a happy medium.

Some basic explanation:

Lear300

Race Dog
Reaction score
Congrats.

20 - 22 degrees are a good angle range for EDC carrying. 15 degrees depending on steel, grind and thickness will be super slicey but could loose its edge rather quick and can be prone to chipping and rolling. Above 22 degrees your edge will be strong and will be more resistant to chipping and rolling, again dependent on steel, grind and thickness.

20 to 22 is a happy medium.

Some basic explanation:

thanks

Tom van Brits

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Pok which I never bragged at work about my new found skills to sharpen a knife with my worksharp🙈

Every once a while now I get handed a knife and last night it kept me bust for the better part of a hour….that one had a chipped blade

You see some people should just not carry folders in my opinion because I really get irritated when a blade was misused and abused

You hand that knife back sharp, clean and oiled and a couple days later tou see the lad prying some rotten grain out a drag😅

El Zeffo

Plata O Plomo
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Pok which I never bragged at work about my new found skills to sharpen a knife with my worksharp🙈

Every once a while now I get handed a knife and last night it kept me bust for the better part of a hour….that one had a chipped blade

You see some people should just not carry folders in my opinion because I really get irritated when a blade was misused and abused

You hand that knife back sharp, clean and oiled and a couple days later tou see the lad prying some rotten grain out a drag😅

Carbon steel fixed blade for those guys. If its legal over there.
To my shock no fixed blades are legal over here by me. Unless you look like a hunter. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Redwolf

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Received my worksharp and extension kit today. Already used it on 5 knives. My hand doesn’t have any hair left..😳😂

Nice bit of kit and really easy to use.

Lear300

Race Dog
Reaction score
I am struggling.......maybe i am just impatient.....but i cant seem to get that "bur" when sharpening? How long do you guys "grind" away to get a bur?

El Zeffo

Plata O Plomo
Reaction score
Bike
I am struggling.......maybe i am just impatient.....but i cant seem to get that "bur" when sharpening? How long do you guys "grind" away to get a bur?

What steel are you sharpening and what angle?
Did you measure your knife's angle?

I get a burr pretty quick.

mox

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
This may sound strange but often this happens to me. I start on one side and don't seem to raise a bur, I have learnt to ignore this and just make sure that I have removed just enough material on that side, I then swap over sides and soon enough it creates a bur, then over to the other side and back and fourth through finer grits. Bobs your uncle.
@Lear300 you are welcome to give me a call if you want. Still have my number ?

Lear300

Race Dog
Reaction score
This may sound strange but often this happens to me. I start on one side and don't seem to raise a bur, I have learnt to ignore this and just make sure that I have removed just enough material on that side, I then swap over sides and soon enough it creates a bur, then over to the other side and back and fourth through finer grits. Bobs your uncle.
@Lear300 you are welcome to give me a call if you want. Still have my number ?
Thanks....I do still have your number, perhaps after the long weekend, I will give you a call, and if your willing, I can swing past and get some lessons.

Thanks for the feedback, will give it a go now and see what i come up with

Reactions: mox

mox

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Use the sharpie method. I will let this vid explain. From about 1:15

Otherwise determine what angle you want that knife to be and reprofile it, keep a record book of each knife with its angle for the particular sharpening system for future use.

El Zeffo

Plata O Plomo
Reaction score
Bike
How do i measure the existing angle?

I have various knives, various steels,

See the videos above for angle. I sharpen most of my pocket knives at 20 degrees. But you need to know your knife's angle to know how much steel to take off to get your desired angle.

You need to know what steel you are trying to sharpen because for example 20CV will take a lot longer to build a burr than for example 154CM. Know your steel so you know what to expect.

Also i found hollow ground knives are harder to sharpen for some reason while the flat grind of a Spyderco is Childs play.

If your knife has a factory grind of 22 degrees and you set your Worksharp to 20 degrees and its 20CV for example you might have to grind that fucker for 30 minutes to get a burr.

El Zeffo

Plata O Plomo
Reaction score
Bike
Best is to play with a cheap knife with soft steel. Get the angle. Match the angle on the worksharp and then start grinding. You will screw up the first blade badly so don't start with a nice knife.

Oilhead

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
In 1984 I got a set of Smiths Arkasas stones.
It took the better part of a year, and some ruined blades, to learn to hold an edge.
The stones are soft, white hard and black hard.
Soft is for preparatory work.
White is an all rounder, shaving edge stone.
Black hard yields scalpel edges.
Honing on a leather strop is optional.
I have found Baby Oil to be a very good, pleasant smelling, non rancid honing oil.

20220620_095437.jpg

Attachments

• 20220620_095437.jpg
    20220620_095437.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts