Travel stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Hi All,

I'm not any good at stringing story's together but thought I'd put up some border crossing info re my recent bike trip from TZ to SA.
Started in Tanzania and headed to the Malawi border to the west of lake Malawi, Kasumulu/Songwe.
Tz side was fairly rapid with immigration. Customs needed bike papers to allow temporary export. No charge.
Malawi side was different... Took four hours to get the bike papers "uploaded" and sorted. Visa was an issue as I travel with a Brit passport. Apparently new rules are to apply online a few days earlier from wherever you are then pitch at the border with proof of online visa. Not so simple! Website a mission and info required dissuades you rather encourages. With lots of waiting and fixer help I got one at the border. $100. Not applicable to SA passport holders.
Comesa vehicle insurance was approx $20 purchased previously.
Road/carbon tax and TIP all about $50. Some you pay in US some in local Kwacha. Money changers everywhere.
Next was Malawi to Moz at Dedza crossing.
Malawi was just hand in papers, stamp passport and off.
Moz more time consuming. When I said I wanted to transit into Zim the whole system came to a standstill. Much discussion but after a couple of hours I was in. Apparently concerned at Zim border status.
Visa $50
Bike paperwork again roughly $50 in US and Mets.
My intention was to travel through the Tete corridor into Zim and from there through Beit-Bridge.
Got to the border at Nyamapanda, passport stamped and paperwork handed back. Told Zim border closed.
Had to see for myself. Arrive Zim side and turned back as land travel closed down. Despite evidence to the contrary with locals and trucks etc.
Back to Moz border, more cash for TIP. $10. Visa and road insurance still valid.
Head down the length of Moz all the way to Komati which was pretty simple both sides.

Covid PCR test required everywhere.
A rapid test is done at SA border for R350. Takes 5 Min. Then because SA customs is so efficient the TIP only took an hour!
In to SA, kiss the tar and travel further.
At all borders the officials were friendly and helpful. Never any attitude.
Cops along the way also very friendly and generally ignored the bike.
English spoken everywhere in Moz. Most comforting.
You'll have to ask pertinent questions if you want more info.
Cheers
Steve

Sent from my TECNO CF8 using Tapatalk