Trotters and High Heels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So….currently being significantly grumpy for several non-forum reasons that are limiting my “space” I thought I would add to the “what to do” if it seems negative read it as a personal space thing not a bike thing.  8)

My old dear (THE GSV)is a 1999 model, so I realised eventually (after removing the bash plate on a bi-weekly basis) that she hung a bit LOW. :snorting:

The old ladies are not getting younger and the suspension WE ACCEPT is not up to KTM standard, the springs are a bit lightweight and yes they sag like (sorry banned) so if you want to do any more than TAR, I seriously recommend a shock service, the shocks are up to 15 years old and need some help.

The rear on an ADV can be serviced and if you only have a stock 10 year old rear std GS shock, go try to find something better on the sales.
If you have GSA suspension and go with luggage, get the rear shock serviced and uprate the spring, I use HYPERPRO progressives but feel a 150kg linear may suit many.

Better springs are not the full answer, better shocks with springs are a better answer but not always a financial option.

Ultimately, a “minor" washout / ditch / pothole can write off your beloved otherwise, do some rear suspension work, or ride accordingly (riding with a permanent fear of a washout is not enhancing the experience)  8)

Edit.. I admire people who can write a page of stuff, I read it and realise that despite "fluffing it out" I write like I speak on a phone, too short too sharp probably but live with it :biggrin: