Tyre Pressure Gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I had an issue this morning on my New Years Morning Ride. The Tyre Pressure Management System (TPMS) kept flashing different colours and warnings at me. So after a cursory inspection of kicking the tyre and seeing that it is still black, round and not porridge at the bottom, off I cautiously mosey off to a air dispensing facility. Check the pressures and none correlate with what is on the dash, but that I have come to expect, temperature differences, riding etc all have an impact. But what got me is that the pressures differ between the various pumps. I pumped to the accepted pressures have a ciggie and off I go. 5 km later off it goes again. Stop at another facility that dispenses air under pressure. What I thought I asked for at previous air purveyor is incorrect - despite me being pedantic when pumping the tyres. All the pressures were less than what I previously pumped….
I pumped the tyres again to the correct “indicated” pressures and had no warnings, initially. Then some intermittent warnings finally ending with a “ - - “ on one of the tyres when I arrived home.
The gauges at the garages are screwy and I accept that. I would like to get myself a tyre pressure gauge that is accurate and portable so that I can check that pressures are accurate before I start riding and when I want to check. Relying on the TPMS isn’t always a viable option and frankly it doesn’t always display an accurate reading. I also think my TPMS sensor is on the way out, it indicated ” - - ” when I arrived home.
Any suggestions as to a nice accurate, compact and reliable tyre pressure gauge that can be stored in the top box/under the seat/pocket?
TIA
P.S. Any other BMW F800 rides have the same issue?
The booklet doesn’t say much about which tyre is which on the screen, IIRC, front tyre is on the left and rear tyre on the right?