TYRE TREAD LIFE ( distance to smooth ,by measurement )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
The last tyre fitted on my 1190 is a PIRELLI MT60 , awesome tyre , maybe the best tyre ever fitted on my bike , Grips in the corners like a road tyre , plenty confidence and not being keen on dirt roads , this tyre combination ( Pirelli rear - Motoz front) has so far been fantastic. But one cant have it all , the front is lasting extremely well , showing little wear for close on 9 k kilos , the rear has done about 4k kilos , but there is not many reviews on what actual milage one would get on the MT60 , Reviews online is for someone that fitted them to a 650 Versys , he was also impressed by the performance .
Problem is that the 1190 is notorious for squaring of the rear tyre , and getting great ( high) milage is not an easy task . Over the weekend I decided to measure the tread depth , varied from close to 5mm on the side to 3.7 in the centre , assuming the centre was also 5 mm deep , the wear has been 1.3 mm for the 4000 kilos covered , this leaving a calculated distance to smooth of about 10000 kilos with a total of 14000 . If this is the case that to me is great milage and I will fit another one , even if I get 8000 kilos on it still good , the compromise between the life and grip is highly acceptable.
I did mention dirt roads , I dont like dirt , but on our recent Polar bear trip to Lesotho , we had to travers some dirt roads , and this tyre combination gave me plenty confidence , so much so that I am now planning some dirt road trips as part of my tour in December .
I think my dislike of dirt roads has been the tyres fitted on my bike , they were 90% road bias , and on a dirt road , any bit of it , it always felt as if the front was on marbles and was going to wash out at any moment , now no such luck , bike is planted and I can ride confidently .
So you have the story , will measuring the tread depth give a good indication as to the distance to smooth , also be an indication of when to fit a new rear tyre ! With a estimated 8k kilo life I could do my December trip and only fir new tyre in January , measurement will tell if I need one before departure .
Also the December trip will have extra weight on the bike in the form of panniers & top box for the ride down to Mossel bay , there the panniers will make place for my partner and we will do day trips with only the top box fitted .

Last edited: