Tyres for 800 GS Adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi all, I know this topic has had a lot of airtime in lots of forums, with lots of differing conclusions.  As tyre tech changes, it would be great to get your views.

I ride a F800GS Adventure. I fitted new Karoo 3s about 500km ago.  I am going to Namibia in three weeks' time (bike on trailer 'til there) and then about 1500 of gravel.  One of the roads I plan on riding is the D707 and there is sometimes sand on the road.  I reckon my skill level is "advanced novice", if there is such a thing (done a few gravel roads before, done the odd outride with the BMW Club, got stuck on a gravel road in rain, etc, but never sand).

My question is, is the Karoo 3 the correct tyre for the front? Or should it be more knobbly, and if so, what?

The 800 Adventure with a full tank weighs as much as the normal 1200, but it has a slightly thinner front wheel which may cut into the sand more (as opposed to gliding over it)?

Advice please guys, any views welcome!