Up North...Malawi...or even Zanzibar!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosparra

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Sitting at our local watering hole, a couple of months ago, having a few cold ones...We must do a trip this year to somewhere north in Moz says one of my mates. Everybody agrees, a few beers later, no man! I have friends with a massive hunting concession north of Lishinga, on the Tanzanian border. That will be the destination. We have 12 days available in June, that should be more than enough. Might even go hunt the promised buffalo! Few more beers. The trip is too short to waste 12 days on it. How about over to Malawi. I-pad out, trip planner, Barberton-Maputo-Malawi-Zim-back home. more than 4000km....if we come back through Zim we might as well go via Vic Falls and then back home...just added 700 odd km`s. We are now reaching 5000km, so what!!! Needless to say, more beer and things got out of hand completely. Now we pushing our luck, how about a 21 day trip. NO problem we all decide....more beer....!
By the end of the evening, all planned...21 days...Barberton-Moz-Malawi-Tanzania, Dar es Salaam (to be precise)-Zanzibar-Zim to Vic Falls-Home. Trip planned!!!

The next morning, VET Babalas, on the bikes, breakfast at Kaapchehoop. Hey guys, about our plans from last night. Is this gonna happen???

Now, a few months down the line, things are slowly falling into place. Admittedly so, many things to still confirm and sort out, is that route even possible, borders, paperwork, back-up, fuel and so forth. What we do know is that we are sorted on the Moz/Tanzania border with accommodation at Steve`s place. Lake Malawi, my friend Ben Kruger will sort us out. Mentia a teacher in Dar gave us their garden flat. We can even leave our bikes there and cross over to Zanzibar, a friend of mine owns the Kilimagidogo Guest House there, if we decide to go, thats where we`ll stay! Back to Malawi and then down to a place called Mazabuka, Luapula in the south of Zambia, my friend Eben farms there, can stay as long as we like. Then Vic Falls and back home.

Guys, this is our idea! So so much to consider and still find out, and if at all possible, this is what we aim for. If we have to cut out Tanzania, so be it, at least our accommodation is sorted with our friends giving suggestions for the sleepovers in between.

I hate building "lug-kastele"...I sincerely hope for this to fall into place.